Here's the deal. If you make a public blog, people you don't know are probably going to read it at some point. I use sitemeter to see who is reading my blog. At first I used it to satisfy my ego. Then it became more of a security thing. Now, it's just plain confusing.
Here's my statistical suspicion:
40% of the people who read my blog are people I didn't know before blogging, but have since met and become friends with.
15% of the people who read my blog are people I knew before blogging, who have been my friend in REAL LIFE.
45% of the people who read my blog are people I don't know, and who don't leave comments.
That means the majority of the people who read my blog are spies. I kind of think that's weird. I mean, I get that people don't have time to comment on every blog they read. But I think it would be cool if you were going to read someone's blog regularly, to at least pop in and say "HEY! I read your blog. I probably won't comment much, but just wanted to introduce myself."
So... Michigan, Kansas, Dallas, North Carolina (not you mom, dad or jen...), Georgia, Tennessee, South Carolina, Driggs Idaho, and all the random places in California and Utah... WHO ARE YOU PEOPLE??
And the one that I insist step forward is Mr. or Mrs. Dayton Ohio, using the Air Force ISP... you read me a lot, you have read me for awhile... do I know you?
I have made a rule for myself that I will not read any more blogs than I do right now. I have 34 on my reader. About 25 of them post regularly, and that is a lot of blogs for me to keep up on, especially with the one free hour a day I seem to have. So I get that blogging can become overwhelming and obligatory at times. But throw a sista a bone over here! You don't have to comment on every post I put up... but at least tell me you're reading about my life. Tell me you're not a creepy pervert stalking my family. Tell me I won't find you on a registered creepy freak list.Please.
31 comments:
I'm the guy who keeps popping in from that State Prison ISP. So no worries. I'm not up for parole for another 3 years.
I agree it is interesting! I try to at least leave a comment on all the blogs I read. But I too have to limit myself to how many blogs I read so I am not on the computer all day long.
i think sitemeter should come with mugshots
i think it would take me 5 hours to sit and figure out who's who and who i don't know. maybe i'll do that!
I'm a total spy! I found you through Amy C.'s blog-- she's my cousin-- and I just entered the world-o-blog recently.. and your title looked all clever.. so I TOTALLY broke in on ya! I've been meaning to ask Amy how you guys know eachother. So sorry.. no need to be creeped out. If it'll make ya feel better feel free to crash my blog whenever!
I feel so cool now to know that I'm one of the few that knew you before you were blog famous.
I am creepy and stalkerish, but I like to comment so you know I'm here and can live your life in fear of me. Whaahaahaa.
That was my attempt at an evil laugh. I think it read like I swallowed water wrong. Crap.
lisasco representin the 408 San Jo (to be read as San "Ho", not Joe). I actually have dual representation, so you might see me pop up as pleasanton too, although, you probably knew that.
do i know you?
You showed up as coming from NY forever on my sitemeter. Sitemeter sucks. It doesn't show enough info to satisfy me. Half the people that show up on mine show up as "unknown".
I show up as SLC, or Alpine.
????
So that's me. Incase you were wondering who the stalker was from Alpine.
And I will grocery cart race you anyday. I am shorter, and closer to the ground, so I get less wind resistance. :)
hey u r pretty. u r funny. i watch u. dont be scared of me.
I want to know who Driggs, Idaho is too! It's not me. I think I show up as Boise? And now I will be singing "Whoooo are you? Who-who" all night. Thx.
I use stat counter- maybe it's less confusing?? But really, it's not. I don't know most people reading mine, and I feel weird when I think about it, so I don't think about it.
I love your pics on your sidebar-great job!
Brooke's comment made me laugh so hard I spit out my water. Damn her.
Okay, so even if you know us is it still okay to pop up on a wierd freaky list? I promise I'm not stalking you but I cannot promise that I won't in the future!!! PS I'm going back to MO to check on our house in 2 weeks, the renters TRASHED it!
Hey, I'm from Michigan. Don't know if you knew that!
I'm over checking my stats. It used to make me obsessed with keeping up my numbers.
So now I don't even know who is stalking me.
That whole "followers" thing, which I haven't even subscrivbed to, or done on anyone blogs, popped up on my dashboard today and 30% of the people who said they followed me, I didn't even know. TOTALLY CRAZY.
And the last two post were genius.
hmmm I checked back to see if you were getting anywhere with ID's. As I suspected you are getting LESS comments than usual. Cowards! Good luck.
I'm the opposite. I really don't WANT to know who is reading. It might stifle my creativity.
Besides, anyone who stalks me and kidnaps my kids will bring them back 45 minutes later.
So glad to know that was Brooke. I was totally freaked out by that random comment. One of these days I'll get back into blogging.
I'm out and proud. How do you know that even those you think you know aren't psycho? Like MySpace pervs? Maybe we are lulling you into a sense of false security....oooooooooooo....
I'd say get the other site monitor tool too. I can't think of the one I use but I will...
In the meantime just know that EVERYONE is reading your blog because it's public. It's OK.
Really, we should all refer everyone to Celia's post on blog etiquitte (sp?).
I agree, chronic readers of your blog should come forward.
Hi :) North Carolina is probably me! I have been reading your blog :) It's Belinda, I can't remember how we last left things so I thought I would just quietly read along and enjoy catching up with you and not bother you with having you catch up with me, in case we left things off in not such a great manner. That said, I loved seeing pictures of your family, including your Mom and Dad and brother. I loved reading that you are a regular mom, like me (I try so hard for empathy, but sometimes I think they know I am faking it!). I am glad to read you are doing so well! Oh and I of course found you through Steve (who I found through Jen through Facebook.)
Belinda
I am here:) I come by when I have time and usually don't comment. I don't know what I would come up as--sometimes on my own site meter I come up as NY, and I don't know why. The whole thing is very confusing and wierd. I was just coming to get a visual of noe since I'm picking out paper for her right now:) She's dang cute. That is one adorable face. and I'm glad I looked, because she's a little younger than I was picturing her in my head...
okay, I'm off.
Hello! My name is Jhona and I'm your Kansas blog-reader. I found you via Clair. My hubby is also in the Army. I read your blog once and come back every now and then. You're encouraging, funny and creative:) I'll try to leave a comment every now and again. I'm a homeschooling mom with three kids and usually read late at night. Sorry for being stalker-ish! Blessings!
I have been reading your blog for almost a year now. I think I have commented on it a time or two. I know that I commented to my sister about your blog and now she reads it, too! When you were at Blogapalooza I envied. When you write of the military man I want to salute. When you describe those kids of yours I smile. And when you speak of you, I wish that we were in the same ward! Those counter programs do the best that they can for us, but I agree it is never enough. We always seems to want more. I also know the time blogreading takes. Somedays it is the best thing I do. I promise that I am not scary. You are hilarious and have heart. thanks for writing to us.
Hey, I'm KatyVee's friend and neighbor, just randomly surfing through friends of friends blogs and she has some funny and interesting friends so that's how I found you--not a regular reader but every once in a while will pop in. I figured comments from strangers would just be weird :) No worries I am just a mom, not a freaky stalker. But I have a question for you--how do you do a site meter? I'd love to know who is on my blog!!!!
Hi. It's Lisha. I hope you know who I am. I read your blog a lot. It is funny. I talk about you with my family every so often and they wonder how I know so much about you when it has been YEARS since we have seen you. THen I have reason to yet again plug the wonderful world of blogging to them. Someday....
It cracks me up that you are calling people out. I read your blog a couple times a week. I haven't commented yet, but I will more often now. Thanks for all the laughs.
Love, Christa
Hey will you teach me how to find a site reader thing. That would be cool to have. Just found out my friend was following and I didn't even know he had a blog.
So I just linked to you through paigeinthelife and since you mentioned NC -- I'm from NC! But this is my first visit :)
Keep on bloggin'
Post a Comment