Sunday, October 19, 2008

FALL FUN!

So. Let's examine the week in review, shall we?

1. Mika went on a field trip. Since we live in sweaterhead country, they went on a field trip where he literally played a game called "know and love your tree." He had to identify trees, blindfolded. He had to sketch nature. I'm pretty sure people talked about recycling. I'm not sure, because I ignored them all and played with my camera.
2. We discovered an old tree house and rope swing in the neighborhood. It keeps them busy for hours. HOURS. I support this activity. Also, I can enjoy quality time with my kids (read: practice using my camera) while they swing.

3. I noticed they were all wearing fall colors, outside in a leafy area. Prime photo time. No one wanted to quit swinging and pose. I told them if they wanted supper, they'd better cooperate. Mission: Failed
4. Noe could LIVE in her "boo shirt". She wants to wear it every day, and fails to understand the fact that it must be laundered between wearings. She also fails to understand that her Type A mother will not let her wear the same thing twice in one week, so even though it HAS been laundered, the answer is still no.

5. Keola made an apple pie. It was delish. I enjoyed making it with him. Plus, I got to practice using my camera.

6. The kids carved pumpkins. They did it all on their own. This is a huge accomplishment. Mostly for me. What would they look like if I couldn't sketch out adorable jack o'lantern faces on them? What if they didn't do it right? What if the pumpkins look ridiculous?
Guess what. They do. They look like they were carved by CHILDREN! But that's okay, because I got to practice some more with my camera. And maybe I overcame some personal weakness in the process.









7. Today was the Primary Program at church. If you are Mormon, you know this is the Sunday that your kids sit up in front of the congregation for an hour and bounce on their chairs, sing a few songs, and recite 9 words that you have worked all month to get memorized. It's fun, because you get to pretend the rest of the congregation is joining you in admiring your adorable children. This is also the day when your middle child will begin singing at the top of his lungs approximately 4 seconds before the song actually starts. He will be so embarrassed that he will cry and refuse to recite his 9 words that you have now wasted an entire month getting memorized. You will be glad you took the pictures before church instead of after.

So there you have it. Fall Fun is all about Mom getting to use her camera.

14 comments:

Clair said...

C'mon. You really should let Noe wear the Boo shirt all month or you are NOT going to get your money's worth. You should however hide it after Halloween... Thanksgiving at the latest.

Tristan said...

Poor Keola! I can imagine his embarrassment! Cute, cute pictures of the kids! Fall is so fun!

Annie said...

And fine picture taking it is! Great shots.

I love the primary program. It's the most entertaining Sunday of the year. I always hope (a) something funny with happen and (b) it won't be to one of my kids. I'm sorry about the early singing, though.

♥Shally said...

Let the poor child wear her boo shirt more!!

Jaxon would have loved it had he sang all by himself... :)

lisamarie said...

The field trip, rope swing, the pumpkin carving...nice adapting. I'm very impressed with your progress on this.

The shirt issue, however, could still use a little work. My kids wear their one set of halloween pajamas every night for the entire month! Do you still love me?

boy that mika is a handsome devil.

Christie said...

Ah, my Chase would LOVE a fieldtrip with the sweaterheads. Those are his kind of people.

Jessica said...

When I was in the Primary Pres., the president was always trying to practice practice practice so we wouldn't have any mess ups...and I kept trying to explain to her: "People come for the mess ups. Primary program without mess-ups would be so hugely boring!"

Yesterday, in ours, the Down Syndrome boy in our Primary, kept randomly howling...I kept thinking it was part of the program and was waiting for them to play off it: "This is what you will sound like in hell, if you don't finish your Faith in God program."

HappyBack said...

You're boys strangle each other a lot, don't they.

Ilene said...

Too bad you didn't practice with the camera during church.

I guess Celia could give you some pointers on that.

diane said...

Nothing like brotherly love.
I missed our Primary sacrament meeting. I'm sad. It's the best meeting of the year.

gab said...

I think having a good camera makes you a better mom. I need one for Christmas.

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

at least when keola is strangling his brother, he kind of looks like he's trying to smile through his ferociousness. and i like the new haircuts.

Katie said...

umm hello, a rope swing would keep me busy for hours too... what's weird about that??

love all the pictures... and the fall colors.

Linsey said...

I don't know what your kids were doing before and after these pictures were taken, but they look so joyful in all these shots. Now I too am smiling from ear to ear!