Saturday, October 25, 2008

On Beastie Boys and Food Storage...


Remember when Mike D had a little story to tell? It is my opinion that the entire tale of woe now known as “Paul Revere” could have been avoided with one simple prevention: food storage.

Look with me, if you will. First of all, things started off all wrong. The King Adrock had nothing but a horsie and a quart of beer. Where was his water? We all know if you’re going to ride across the land, kickin up sand, you should take water. Not beer. There are lots of ways to transport and store water. We’ll get to those eventually.
Who does Adrock run into, but MCA. And what is MCA’s first complaint? Four days on the run, and that he’s dyin of thirst. MCA got himself into a little snaggle. Some unexpected adversity hit. Did he have a few cans of tuna, or maybe even chili to fall back on? No. He had nothing. His voice was hoarse, his throat was dry. He had to go to someone else for a sip. There are lots of things MCA could’ve thrown together in a 72 hour kit… but we’ll get to that later as well.
The two travel on. They’re hungry, they’re thirsty. They come to The Spot. You would think at The Spot, they would take advantage of their opportunities to replenish their supplies. Pick up a few items for now, a few for later. Store something up for a rainy day. But NOOOOOOO… not these beastie boys. What do they do but get themselves mixed up with Mike D. Next thing you know, hands went up and people hit the floor. And we all know what happened to the two kids who ran for the door.
And so it ends. The three boys set off to travel the land once again, with nary a bottle of aqua fina to their names. Did they think about the future? Did they set something aside for the next fearful catastrophe? No.
Mike D grabbed the money.
MCA snatched the gold.
Adrock grabbed two girlies, and a beer that’s cold.

They will get hungry and thirsty all over again, and thus the vicious cycle of famine induced loot-n-riot will continue.

So. If you’re interested, for the next month I will be updating and replenishing my food storage. And until I’m finished, I am limiting myself to blogging solely about this topic. Doesn’t that sound FUN!? Stay tuned.

21 comments:

Tristan said...

I love the Beastie Boys! Their songs are perfect for partyin! Not that I ever get wild and crazy...anymore ;)

Paige said...

Do it and you are off my reader. I dare you. I think Food Storage and Prop 8 should be put in a bag together and shaken up.

HILLARY said...

ummmm, only if you have the Beastie Boys playing the entire month! Paul Revere is my hubby's most favorite song of all times!

diane said...

Since my boys have moved away I have extra food storage.

Bridget said...

Thanks for the Beastie Boys flashback. Did you seriously remember all those lyrics? Are you kidding about the upcoming food storage posts? Please?

Clair said...

well, if anyone can make food storage interesting, it is you. i will be reading for much needed tips and motivation.

ps gab's latest giveaway- that is the way to get stalkers to reveal themselves! but you gotta come up with something better than rubber gloves and you gotta promise to follow through! think about it :)

Christie said...

I was trying to think of something funny and witty to say, but started laughing too hard at what Paige said. Then all creativity went out the window.

Well said, Paige.

kara jayne said...

This may well be one of the best posts I have EVER read in all of blogdom!! We were just listening to a little "brass monkey" yesterday. Keep 'em comin'!!

lisha said...

Clair is right. If you can't say something exciting about food storage, then there is nothing interesting to say. And that would be me ignoring your blog until you are done.

Jen -n- Jase & kids said...

Since I was blessed enough to enjoy your very ENTHUSIASTIC renditions of this song (and others of their making)I enjoyed a very memorable chuckle straight from the START of your blog.

Tying this into Food Storage - brilliant!

I'll enjoy coming back for more.
Thanks for the chuckle. :o)

gab said...

I love your brain.

Hazen5 said...

I want help with my Food Storage! Keep the posts coming!!!

calibosmom said...

See you in a month...you know I'll secretly be reading.

Belinda said...

Definitely needs to be a combination of Beastie Boys + Food Storage blogging. It only seems right to keep it in the same vein! Clearly from your clever post here, if anyone could make it work... I vote for a new post integrating "Fight for your right to Party", oh the pastabilities!

Anne said...

Are you just trying to get rid of the lurkers? You know the rest us will hang in...

♥Shally said...

Ummmm... so you know-- I will be out of town for the next month, so soooo sorry if I don't comment on your wonderful food storage posts.

;)

Red Seaglass said...

I didn't think you were seriously doing a Beastie post :) I freakin love those guys. So much rockin out to be had by them. I will tune in to your food storage posts. And I won't take you off my sidebar :)

Ilene said...

Oh, blog about water storage. We have a lovely 50 gallon barrell that has been empty for the past two years.

I think I disappointed my Catholic neighbor when I admitted to her that I didn't have a year's supply of food stored away. I am a bad Mormon.

Katie said...

Great, on the way home from work now, I have to rummage through the CDs in the car to find the best beastie boys album (yep, I said album, so?) ever to satisfy this song that will be playing in my head ALL.DAY.LONG.

yeah... thanks.

HappyBack said...

"jockin' Mike D to my dismay"

That friggin line is going to be in my head all day now.

I hate 80's music. Yeah, I said it.

Linsey said...

My husband just walked by and gave me a high five for "knowing" someone who obviously "knows" the Beastie Boys. He was going to ask me to give up the computer and because of you I get to continue blogging for a little while longer!!