Monday, April 28, 2008

Zoom in on My Life

I've been playing with the new camera. Mostly I love the crisp zoom I get. This is good for me, bad for my unibrowed children, as you will see below.




I am exhausted. I'm not sure why. Sunday, at church, I kept falling asleep. My head would do that snap up thing... you know, when you doze off, and your muscles relax, and suddenly your body screams WAKE UP! and your head snaps back to attention. I think I even gave myself whiplash. I teach part time in the mornings, and today I was practically asleep on the table. I don't see myself getting much rest this week, as I have the up and coming trip to Utah on the docket. But I don't think I really need rest, I think I need a little break. I am easily overwhelmed by life in general. As much as I love my kids, my husband, my job, my house... sometimes I just need to step outside of it. Is that wrong? Is it selfish? Does it mean I love anyone any less? I don't think so. I think as a mom and wife, there are a lot of mundane responsibilities. Yes, there is the grand scheme... what I do now is shape the life of my children and build my eternal relationships; but the day to day reality of that is sometimes less awesome. Preparing ANOTHER meal, mopping another round of stains off the floor, washing the soccer jerseys FOUR TIMES a week, trudging through the seemingly endless legal battles with ex-spouses... you name it. Sometimes, I just don't want to do it. My little vacation is coming at a very good time.
I saw this pine tree yesterday, and on it was growing a teeny little pinecone. I've never seen a pink one before; it was soft and almost fragrant. I wanted to write some literary masterpiece comparing my life to its growth, but all I came up with is that the pinecone blossom is going to turn into a hard, ugly, brown cone, which my kids will kick all over the place.
Not exactly the inspiration I was looking for.

17 comments:

♥Shally said...

There definitely days when I feel like an ugly brown pinecone being kicked around by my kids!!!

I need the break too.

Oh-- and wear your yellow dress to BP. :)

Tristan said...

Beautiful pictures! I have never seen a pink pinecone either! It is really pretty!

Mommy life does get mundane and I think it is neccessary to take breaks! Otherwise we (or maybe must me) will go CRAZY. Can't wait to see you on Thursday night! Bring a jacket it is sapposed to be super cold!

gab said...

Hang in and hang on. You will come away from Women's Conference with all kinds of insight and inspiration. It's better than New Year's for resolutions...

At least, that's what I'm hoping!

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

I really am jealous about the whole Womens Conference thing. You are going to have a great time.

Heidiram said...

What beautiful pictures!

Totally off topic: I'm not liking the bring a jacket comment. I have one very thin jacket I wear to the gym when they have the air conditioning cranked too high . . . and a fleece jacket that doesn't match anything. Please don't tell me I have to go jacket shopping the second I get off the plane. And what about my cute toes? Do I have to wear closed toe shoes as well?

HappyBack said...

Holy crap, nice post. Hey, what am I doing holding this razor blade to my wrist....?

Want to save yourself some aggravation? Pull your kid out of soccer. Seriously- whats with the soccer everyone has their kids in? North Attleboro wasn't a soccer town, and we turned out just fine, playing pick-up games of basketball in people's driveways or at church. I don't get our nation's bizarre obsession with putting every friggin kid on a soccer team. We all grow up and never watch it again. We universally cringe when we hear those Mexican announcers scream out, "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!" ANd what good do the kindern reap from it? They learn to grab people's jerseys out of site of the referee, and to kick a ball, and that life's greatest achievements and moments can sometimes be decided on stupid penalty kicks. Soccer doesn't teach about LIFE. It just steals away precious family time.

Drop the soccer. Tell your kid to kick around that pinecone instead.

Oh and hey, nice pictures.

Bridget said...

UGH, my blog feeds have not been updating yours. I am so far behind on reading blogs now. I love your pics. Looks like a great camera.

Remember BP is only three days away!!!

Katie said...

great pictures, love playing with the camera.

About life... HANG.IN.THERE. I hear you, sometimes you just need a time out. Doesn't mean you love any less... helps you to love MORE.

Cindi M said...

Your photos are gorgeous. Keep 'em coming!

Having just come back from a break, I'm thinking you'll come back feeling SO much better. I'm so glad your doing that for yourself. Have a good relaxing time!

the wrath of khandrea said...

sometimes i would like to ditch sports, but my kids, especially my middle son, need the outlet. it teaches him discipline, it motivates him, it helps instill cooperation, and it uses up a fraction of that energy that he has so much of. maybe i should just send them in dirty jerseys. they're only clean for about ten minutes anyway... so why bother?

HappyBack said...

Just spray lysol on them and scoot the kid out the door.

Skip said...

You deserve anything and everything life has to offer. Step out of this craziness and have some fun at blog-a-poop-a-lot. I've got enough Lysol and chilidogs to last until you come home. All I ask is that you give that yellow dress to Lisa and for you to remember to say HELLO when you come home. Love ya lots!!!

calibosmom said...

That pinecone is absolutely beautiful-just like you! Have a great time and don't feel an ounce of guilt for being away!

HappyBack said...

Damn it, Skip, what are you doing? Do you have stock in a Utah Divorce Law Firm or something??

Hollywood said...

Life can definitely be mundane sometimes. I feel like I live life looking forward to the next vacation. Maybe they are what keep us going. Light at the end of the tunnel sort of thing. Hopefully your vacation leaves you feeling rejuvinated. Doesn't Utah do that to everyone? :)

Suzie Petunia said...

That really is a gorgeous picture. I had no idea pine cones could look like that.

Someday your kids will appreciate every tiny little thing you've done for them. It may take 30 years, but it will come. :)

Hollyween said...

So I'm sad I didn't even get to TALK to you at Blogapalooza!!! But wasn't it THE BEST??!!

Loved your CD gift.