Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Hair Ye! Hair Ye!

Beloved school pictures. We just spent $54 on these pictures. There is so little I actually like about them, from an aesthetic point of view. But this year was rougher than usual. Just a few hair issues, which I will refer to as "confidential". But see for yourself. I'll keep the comments minimal. Don't want to damage anyone's self-esteem.(Is that Corbin Bleu?!)

(Was refusing to have pictures taken. I offered the solution of "feel free to select whatever you'd like to wear." Suitcoat with Old Navy tshirt. Interesting.)


(Knew the backdrop was red lattice. In typical type-A style, selected a red and black sweater.)


(She does actually have hair. It just blends in with the BLACK backdrop. Nice move, LifeTouch)

(No, she's not 13. And not all of us believe in making her look like she is.)

Why do we get sucked into school pics every year? Why would our kids think we love them any less if we said, "Sweetie, mommy has taken no less than 785 pictures of you so far this year. We're not buying school pictures." The pictures we take are WAY better than these... WHY are we manipulated like this? I swear I won't buy any next year. And then I'm sure my kids will all turn creepy goth to express their feelings at not being loved enough by their parents.

17 comments:

♥Shally said...

Jaxon brought his "spring" school pictures home the other day-- and threw a FIT when I told him we weren't buying them. (He loves that it looks like a "forest" behind him this time)

I already bought the fall set-- and the packet is sitting in a drawer.

Life Touch sucks.

Clair said...

This was our worst year for photos- I did buy a minimum order of the regular school pics AFTER retakes. When we got a note home that said "please have your child wear a solid color for SPRING pictures as the background will be black and white stripes" I knew they were going to be seriously ugly. I think your kids look cute though. I don't know what some companies are thinking nowadays as far as backgrounds.

Jessica said...

If they turn creepy goth, then you REALLY have a good reason to avoid paying for those worthless school pictures.

Katie said...

okay, the last one, yes, 13 year old... look out for her. And what's with the red lattice??? odd look.

but still... beautiful kids.

gab said...

I know what you mean. School pictures are bad enough...but do we need a photo package of each and every sports team, dance review and birthday party? No!

diane said...

My school pictures were so bad in 7th grade that my mom suggested I have retakes! I didn't turn goth, course back then it would have been hippy!

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

there is a bright side, you have pictures of Samie and Jordan, right? I still haven't figured out why they take pictures in the fall and the spring?

lisamarie said...

i still can't figure out why there are Fall pictures AND Spring pictures. Can anyone explain this to me?

When K brought her "spring" pictures home, I was so irritated about it that I immediately stuffed them back into her backpack and ordered her to return them the next day. She looked at me in despair, and asked in a soft and confused voice, "why don't you want my picture mom?" I said, "It's not that I don't want your picture honey....it's just...well...ok, take them out and we'll think about it for a few days..."

i ended up returning them on a day when her sensitivity level wasn't so high.

calibosmom said...

I too am anti-school picture. I buy the cheapest package and half of them sit in the envelope. I say we boycott!

martha corinna said...

I haven't yet arrived at the school photos point in my short career as a mother, but I'm sure this is one area where I will fall in line (unlike all the other areas where I refuse to fall inline).
Your children all look adorable.
I had hair issues in EVERY single school photo. My mother could never, ever fix hair, and I guess I just decided to carry on the tradition once I started fixing my own.

HappyBack said...

Fall and Spring pictures are the nrom because in our whitey-dominated society, we wanted our pristine white children to be as glaringly white as they possibly could be for posterity to behold. It's a racist thing, you wouldn't understand.

Look, why don't you all just hire ME to do your pictures? I do a better job and I will give you all a blogapalooza discount.

Just hook me up with your hot single friends to earn the discount. Make sure she can cook and iron.

Anonymous said...

To all you Moms out there...I am a school photographer and proud of it, although I have to admit it hurts to read comments such as yours. I try each and every day, spring or fall, to take a beautiful picture of your child. I also try to make it a special and fun experience for your child. I want nothing more than for you to smile when you see the picture I have captured...do I succeed every time? Probably not, but I want you to know that I try and I care, as do most of my colleagues. Thanks for listening :-)
p.s. I'm a mom, too.

the wrath of khandrea said...

sorry anonymous, not buying it. i'm thinking i probably know you, or at least cyber-know you. anyway. my gripe was mostly with my stepdaughter's hair, and the hideous red lattice background.

i love a good ball buster. step up and be known.

HappyBack said...

In fairness... we can't blame the phtotographer for the hairstyle your stepdaughter had imposed upon her. We know DAMN WELL who we CAN blame, though, don't we!

the wrath of khandrea said...

the man with the ex is reading between the lines. i love it. YOU ROCK, MAN.

Rynell said...

I just say no to school pictures.

But I do buy a little school yearbook offered at the end of the year.

Christie said...

You know my feeling on our friends at Lifetouch...