Saturday, December 22, 2007

one of these things is not like the other...

take a close look at the two pictures that follow. what's different?
if you guessed that we've switched spots in the picture, you are correct. but if you ALSO guessed that my amazing husband bought me a beautiful gift for our anniversary, then you are correct as well!
funny story here. this weekend is our one year anniversary. we had made some tentative plans to go to dinner and a movie, which i was feeling was a bit lame. in a conversation yesterday where one thing led to another, i may have hinted to my husband that seeing "i am legend" for our one year anniversary wasn't exactly what i was hoping for. as it turns out, neither was he. and he was semi-insulted that i had not intuitively known he had something up his sleeve. he had already made reservations at swilly's. we had never eaten there before, and it was fantastic. he had asked to reserve their best table, but was told it would only be available after 6:00, since an elderly couple occupied it every friday night at 5:00. when we got there, they were leaving, and it brought tears to my eyes to see how sweet and in love they were. it felt good to sit there and know that one day, we would be them. just hopefully a little taller.

while we were eating, two guitarists came over and started serenading us with "blue moon". i thought this was a little unusual, since we have no particular attachment to this song. the man two tables behind us also found it unusual, since he had paid the guitarists to serenade him and his wife with "blue moon." we all got a good laugh out of the mix-up, but only one couple tipped the guitarists.

during dessert, the manager brought over a gift box, and inside was, yes, a beautiful pearl necklace and matching earrings. i have always wanted a pearl necklace, but never mentioned that to skip. so i was very impressed at his accuarcy and good taste.
his present came today.

i was eligible for a discounted upgrade on my phone, so i gave him my eligibility. he picked out a new blackberry. i feel like it was a cheap gifting move on my part, but the guy is like ellen in a pet shop, he's so excited. so i feel better.
anyway, the whole evening was great. of course, minus the part where we came home and the babysitter was dying because of all the crying and fighting she had to deal with. two kids were still awake, one was still screaming. one who is too old to be screaming, i might add. i quickly volunteered to drive the sitter home and let skip handle that. by the time i got back, he was able to save the night and maintain the mojo. whatta guy!

8 comments:

Abby said...

I just love happy anniversaries! I've had to make my expectations very clear to my hubby, so that ours are assuredly happy ones :) Kudos to your man for not having to be told!

Celia Fae said...

I noticed right away. Love those pearls. They make such a classy statement.

The story about the old couple is priceless. I hope that is me someday.

Congratulations on your first anniversary! I would say that you are such a baby, but I know you aren't. I'm so happy that we've "met" and I can watch your success.

lisamarie said...

Parabens! Sounds like a lovely night - sans the babysitter issues. That's why you should come live in California and I could handle the crowd so you could even get an overnighter somewhere. The pearls add sparkle to your already angelic glow. Nice touch B.

calibosmom said...

Congratulations...its great to be in love! Only married a year and you know what each other wants...must be fate!

HappyBack said...

My perfect anniversary night out:

1) Dinner at Village Inn
2) I present her with an empty jewelry box at dinner. When she opens it I say "GOTCHA!" and laugh.
3) We go see "I Am Legend"
4) Dessert at the same Village Inn.

I don't see why I'm not married yet.

brittany said...

yay! I guessed right:) That's a good gift and a funny story. I've never been serenated.

martha corinna said...

What an awesome husband, so thoughtful. I love the necklace.
Sorry about the babysitter, congratulations on the mojo.

Heidiram said...

Congratulations!