so. the other day my kindergartener asked if he could borrow my tweezers to pull out his unibrow. upon further probing, i discovered a 6th grader on the bus had been teasing him about it.
he said this had been happening for about a week. so i called the bus department, and the man (named DICK, no kidding) assured me he'd look into it. i asked him to get back to me and let me know the results. he said he didn't understand what i was talking about. i said, i would like to know how the child was approached, what was said, and what the results of the conversation were. dick said, "um. oh. i guess i could call you back." i said, "that would be fantastic dick."so dick called me this morning. he said, "we spoke to the 6th grader, and he said your son was throwing pasta at him." i said, "on friday, keola made a noodle necklace at school. he brought it home, it broke, the 6th grdaer was teasing him, so he threw a noodle at him. i'm not trying to justify my son's actions, he did get in trouble for throwing the noodle. but what was done about the teasing incidents?"
dick said, "well, the 6th grader said he only threw the noodle back because your son threw it at him first. " i said, "dick. you and i spoke last wednesday. the noodle throwing incident took place on friday. the teasing was happening before the noodle was thrown."
dick (i'm really enjoying calling him by his name) said, "well apparently your son isn't too afraid of this other boy if he's throwing pasta at him. and the other boy said he only threw back in self-defense." to which i replied, "so, dick. are you telling me pasta throwing trumps bullying in bus house rules?" "no, ma'am. nothing trumps bullying." at this point, i almost want to laugh, but i'm so annoyed with his complacency and idiocy, i just can't. but i'm laughing now. so i said to dick, "i would like to know what is going to be done to prevent this 6th grader from continuing to tease my kindergartener. in spite of his pasta throwing, he is still much smaller than the 6th grader and i would like to prevent this from escalating."
dick said, "well, your son should sit in the front of the bus and report any teasing to the bus driver immediately." i said, "is anyone going to speak to the 6th grader again and address the real issue here? what is going to be done to protect my child from being teased?" dick replied, "it's our job to protect every child on the bus. your son was throwing pasta at another child. we have an equal responsibility to both children." i said, "dick. are you kidding me? you have done nothing to protect my child. you have fully sided with the 6th grader because he had pasta thrown at him. he has taken no responsibility for his actions. what is going to be done about that?" and dick said, "well, i guess we could look into that again, and if the 6th grader needs to be written up, that's what we would do. but we can't just kick him off the bus."
at this point i could see that dick was clearly not the person i needed to be speaking with to address this issue. i told him that i had made a written note of his complacent response, of his preference towards punishing kindergarten pasta throwing over 6th grade bullying, and that i would then take it up with higher authorities.
so consider this the written note, and if you'll excuse me, i'm off to talk to the 6th grade and kindergarten principals.
8 comments:
I love how the minute you bring up the word "bully" all the PC stuff comes out. "Oh wait, ma'am, we hate bullying, blah blah blah." Let us all know what happens. a 6th grader and a kindergartner??!
I'll make sure to fire his Dick, I mean Dick. Thank you for notifying me.
Please send your little boy to school with stronger pasta. Like bunches of spaghetti. Then he could poke the big boy's eyes out.
I vote you just keep him out of school forever. Poor, sweet boy! I'd find that sixth grader myself.
Love the bus. And I love the name Dick.
Good luck.
i once had a 6th grader throw my stuffed raccoon out the window and the bus driver laughed while i bawled my eyes out. people now wonder why i'm so damn defensive and LOATHE buses. best to nip this one in the bud.
For reals????? A 6th grader verses a kindergartner? I just found out yesterday that my son has also been having issues with being teased about his uni-brow. What's up with that? My son isn't a kindergartner, but it's still an age difference. He just turned 9 in September and he skipped grades so he's in fifth grade with a bunch of kids that are now turning 11 (and 12 if they were retained a year). I didn't even know what uni-brow was until I was 20 something. Pasta is on sale buy one get one this week. I'll send your son some more ammunition for his defense to use on the bus. Did you join Paige and Celia's club???
YOU go girl! I don't hink the 6th grader wants all us bloggin mammas after him! I just love the public school system. And to think I'm married to one of them!
My father in laws name is Dick. I like to call him by his name :)
Dick was busting out the Rosa Parks seat for your kid, Andre'... I don't see the problem here....
Post a Comment