Friday, December 28, 2007

curse you, polly pockets!

this is auntie marji. we have been friends for over 30 years. we grew up right next door to each other. she is family.
this year, she sent each of the kids money for christmas. noe has just gotten into polly pockets, so she got a really huge polly pockets play set. for those of you who are unfamiliar with polly pockets, allow me to elaborate.
basically, it's a mini-barbie. she has rubber clothes that are easy to slide on and off. she has a million accessories. they are all extremely tiny. polly herself is about 3 inches high. i am fairly certain polly was designed by a man, one who does not stay at home with children all day and fully understand the ungodly mess they can create. if she wasn't designed by a man, then it was by a rich woman with a nanny and a maid. i have held off on buying any polly because i don't like finding little pieces of stuff all over the house. but noe had a friend over the other day, who brought her polly pockets along. they played for hours with this stuff! HOURS!
imagine... as i did... my daughter, occupied for hours with polly pockets while i blogged. and in the back of my twisted mind, i also saw the organizational possiblities. they were ENDLESS! i could buy a tackle box, we could put shoes in one section, tops in another, hair accessories in a third... i saw myself actually taking a break from blogging to organize polly pockets for sheer fun.

well.

enter reality. noe has one plastic tote, in which she insists on keeping all the clothing, accessories, dolls, pets, and vehicles. it has no compartments. it has no sections. it has no pockets. everything is just thrown in there in a chaotic, unsystematic mass of plastic anarchy. i'm not allowed to arrange them. and the ones that are kept in there are the ones that are NOT left on the floor after cleanup time. it is literally impossible to pick up every piece of polly pockets after you've played with them. i maintain that it simply cannot be done. even with the best of intentions, and the utmost attention to detail, you cannot pick up every piece of polly's stuff. nope. but if you want to give it a try, come on over.

8 comments:

calibosmom said...

We LOVE Polly at our house and many peices have been lost to the Carpet Gods and the Air Duct Gods but C'est La Vie! We throw them all into two pink Rubbermaid bins and call it good. Long Live Polly!

Celia Fae said...

Yeah, Polly has more stuff thrown away than she keeps. At least she is easier to dress than Barbie. I love the tackle box fantasy. Good one.

HILLARY said...

I've tried the organization thing with PP. To no avail! I gave up. Now the vaccum just cleans up the mess :) My son does like to chew on the plastic dresses, though! Happy to say, no requests for PP this Christmas!

Jessica said...

I with Celia...seriously, if I find it on the ground, I toss it. They don't even notice anyway, since they are even more organizationally challenged than myself.

Clair said...

I hear you on the tiny accessories. Faith got something like a polly pocket but it's actually princess Belle but same concept. I think it was on the same day that you posted that I vaccuumed up the first shoe with the hand vac. I saw the tiny pink shoe there and just thought- well....... no big loss. Of course it hasn't been missed. Faith is only 3- she can barely dress the thing let alone worry about keeping shoes on it.

HappyBack said...

I'm going to make my wife wear rubber clothes that are easy to slide on and off.

the wrath of khandrea said...

you better find yourself a wife first. and i DO NOT want to know about your fisher price fetishes.

♥Shally said...

Okay-- my girls got the mini pet shop extravaganza. There are little leashes to go on the mini pets, along with bowls, mini dog biscuits, etc. Stuff everywhere. And of course, they can never find what they want when they want it. Lots of crying involved. I find pieces in my bed, my pantry and I step on them all day!! You are right-- a man must have invented these too.