Monday, March 10, 2008

This Is What I've Been Waiting For!!

I started blogging with this very goal in mind- to publish my blog into a series of books for my family. I used to scrapbook like crazy, but don't anymore. I kept a journal when I was a teenager, but frankly, those memories are not the best reflection of my life's history. But this blog has been a great way to combine both. The site I used is blurb.com and they make it about as easy as you can imagine. Here's what I ended up with after my first 6 months of blogging:

The front and back covers- you can choose hard or soft cover, I chose soft. It's cheaper.





You can "slurp" your entire blog into their program, and then choose which entries you want to publish. I didn't select all of mine, just the ones that reflected our family or things I felt my kids would enjoy reading one day.
I take a lot of pictures that I don't put on my blog... mostly because I'm too impatient to wait for them to all load, and I realize that unless you are a blood relation or very dear friend, you probably don't really want to see all 45 shots of my kids in the snow. But this program gives you the option of importing additional photos from your hard drive. So I did few photo pages, which were a lot of fun:
As you can see, they have all kinds of templates to choose from. You can also select different background designs, with the option of customizing the colors as you like:


There is one template that allows for a page full of small photos. This works well if your photos are simple, and close-up. If they are busy or small, the detail is lost:

You also have to have high resolution pictures, or the quality is very poor. I think once I get my NEW BIRTHDAY CAMERA... (that WAS a hint I picked up from you baby, wasn't it???) then I can improve the quality of my pictures, which will translate into sharper prints.
Anyway. If you are a blogger, I highly recommend looking into this program. My book was 100 pages long, and the softcover price was $29. Of course, after I added shipping, it jumped all the way to $40, but I still feel it's money well spent. It's certainly cheaper than scrapbooking, and I find it more enjoyable because I can write more.
One hundred pages for me was six months' worth of blogging. That was roughly 70 entries. I did some two page spreads, and some pages with extra photos. A hundred pages is a fairly manageable sized book.
Anyway. I love it. I plan to continue doing it, probably twice a year.

16 comments:

HILLARY said...

DID YOU USE BLURB? DENAE DID ONE AND I GOT TO TOUCH IT. I CAN'T WAIT TO DO MINE.

I'D LIKE TO PUT MY 2 CENTS IN FOR A CAMERA - IF IT MATTERS. I HAVE A OLYMPUS SP-550. I LOVE IT. IT TAKES AMAZING PHOTOS. VERY CLEAR. IT'S NOT THE REALLY EXPENSIVE KIND BUT MUCH BETTER THAN THE LITTLE POCKET ONES. IT'S GREAT IN THE DARK, TOO. I'M BLOGGING A PLAY AND THE PICTURES ARE WITH MY CAMERA.

I HOPE YOU GET THE ONE YOU WANT!

Heidiram said...

I love your book! I need to get back into blogging. I've been on a little hiatus lately. How long does it take to put together? Can technologically challenged people do this as well? I still struggle with some of the basic blogging tasks . . . like uploading photos . . . or changing my template.

Jessica said...

I got an email today that said mine shipped!! I didn't do any fancy stuff like yours, just black and white. Yours looks great. I'll probably put mine up when I get it.

Seriously--I now feel all justified in my blogging pasttime!

Clair said...

LOVE IT!!! Thanks for sharing. This is a must for the future. Your book looks so awesome! What a keepsake! I love the front and back cover- perfect!

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

I LOVE IT!!! I had heard people talk about "publishing their Blog" but really didn't know what that would be like. It is awesome. Happy birthday!!

calibosmom said...

This is great! I am not a scrapper so this kinda stuff is right up my alley. I just made books for each of my kids of our trip to Disney and I used mypublisher.com. It was so easy and I love the fact that it took me an evening to put it all together and all of my kids get one. Yeah for digital scrapbooks!

♥Shally said...

I need to get started! I downloaded the program a few months ago and haven't done anything with it yet..

Was it easy?

I am scared it will take up more time.. Okay, ZACH is scared it will take up more time. (He is feeling neglected when I blog) :)

Celia Fae said...

Thank you for showing me all of the details. It looks awesome. Do your kids like it? How long did it take you? I'm intimidated.

Cindy said...

This is such a great idea. Thanks for sharing all the details about it. I'm going to go check it out.

The Mencl's said...

Okay, you've convinced me. I was scared of the prices and the results so thanks for sharing yours. I want one for my kids. I blog to remember the good and laugh at the hard and I enjoy the social life that I pretend to have, but in the end, it will be my children who love it the most. Thanks Andrea for sharing yours!

HappyBack said...

I'm going to have my secret hidden blog about public restrooms and the graffiti written there turned into a lovely coffee table book. Thanks for the idea!

gab said...

This is what I am going to give myself for my one year blogiversary. Love love love love love it! Good for you!

lisamarie said...

amazing. good for you. i think this is the only way that I'll ever truly have a record of our family. very inspiring. you. as always.

Christie said...

That is so cool. I really need to do this, too. Love how yours turned out.

D-dawg said...

It turned out great!!! Next time I do one I'm going to try out the fancy pages and stuff. Yours looks so cute, good job!

Cindi M said...

Hi Andrea,

I don't know if you'll remember me from the couple of years I lived in the East, but I recently found Steve's blog and from there came to visit yours.

I had a question about your Blurb experience. I'm in the process of working with Blurb to convert much of my blog into a book. Like you, I'm making extra photo pages. My camera is not that great, something like 3.2 megapixels. I've allowed pictures as big as a half page and I'm wondering how they'll turn out. I like how Blurb warns you when the picture quality will be low, but I'm wondering if they're still not going to look that great.

If you don't mind sharing more about that you can e-mail me at cindimartineau@gmail.com

Thanks!

BTW, I have five kids too and I live in Michigan.