We went to the ROTC spring formal last night. I love to get dressed up. I love to try new makeup and buy new jewelry. I don't love doing my hair quite so much, because I stink at it. I love someone else doing my hair for me, but we're on a budget, people.
We had a great time. Those cadets are crazy. I got a kick out of watching some of their dates try to dress up... just because it's a cute dress, doesn't mean it looks cute on everyone. Yikes. And I'll never understand why everyone feels that less is more. Sometimes, it would actually be more flattering if we saw less of you. Just because it says "little black dress" doesn't mean you're locked in to the "little" part of it. Sleeves are good! Necklines are okay! Unless you have what it takes to pull it off, then explore the options.
And while I'm being petty and snobbish here, let me also say that it's time for some dining lessons. I watched one young person hold their drinking glass like a sippy cup. Two hands, head tilted back, the whole nine yards. Another tried to pick up an apple slice and bite off a piece without cutting it. I suggested a knife would be helpful, after the bitten piece fell in her lap. She spent the rest of the meal with a fork in one hand and a knife in the other. Viking style.
Anyway. Off my soapbox. I had a great time. Our cadre is super, I enjoy them a lot. The cadets were nervous, but eventually loosened up and started having fun. And I got to spend my evening next to this dangerously good looking man, and catch a ride home in his Jeep when it was over.
For all of the strains military life can place on individuals and families, there really are a lot of great things it has to offer as well. I love the tradition, the customs, and the structure. I resolved last night to quit being so whiny about the fact that my husband often has to be away. I am proud of what he does, and I admire his commitment. He is a soldier, and I love him.
14 comments:
WOW! You look gorgeous!! And what a handsome husband!!
I know this may sound cheesy-- but I admire your husband-- and I admire you. Him, for sacrificing so much to be a soldier, and you--to be married to one. I am sure it is not easy.
It would be really nice to have a great excuse to get dressed up and go out! My dress up right now is a nice pair of jeans!! :)
I love that first picture. You are ethereal and gauzy looking. Like a dream.
Sounds like a fun (and entertaining) night!
I love getting dressed up as well. We, too, always have some kind of a 'ball' at least once a year. ALWAYS fun to get dressed up...
and you're right... watch others 'try'.
What a striking couple! Love your dress.
NIce pictures, looking great! Glad you had fun- I never have had much fun at the formal events- always turned out to be a disappointment. Of course I was expecting Prom. And we were always so worn out by the "blah, blah, blah." that by the time they opened the dance floor we were ready to go.
You looked beautiful. How fun. Fred actually just left for Afghanistan this week. it was pretty sad.
You two are Smokin' Hot! I want to go to a ball but I don't think they have self-employed computer geek dances.
I went to a Army ROTC dance my sophomore year of college. Although the guy I went with turned out to be a total loser (no reflection on the armed services, I assure you), it was fun dressing up and really, guys in uniforms are hot. Unfortunately, I went to BYU so the only gawking at girls' outfits was due to their lack of any style or shape. I, of course, looked classy.
i forgot to say happy birthday. since you love birthdays so much, i thought that i would celebrate you everyday this month so Happy Birthday for yesterday and today.
You are a great looking couple. I think it was sweet how you referred to your husband as, "this dangerously good looking man". You melt when you see a man in uniform don't you :)
Everyone's saying it, but whatever...it always is fun to hear it again:
SO PRETTY!
Hello Mr. Skip! What about the military perk of that awesome uniform!
Oh, you look pretty good yourself. Alright, terrific. I'm glad you could have a romantic date with Vikings and cadets.
I think the best part must be seeing that handsome man in a uniform. Could I borrow one for my own husband? Wowza. You look beautiful, too. LOVE that dress.
OK, you must fill me in...what does Skip do? Why do I not know this? You guys look STUNNING! I LOVE the dining out's and stuff. My favorite thing is finding the most glamourous, stunning dress that is what....modest! I must say, I've found some great one's.
Anyway, yes, military life. We're excited to go to Dover. Tim LOVES his plane, the C-17 and rumor is he may deploy in November. That's the way it is. Addy and I are going to SLC while he goes to "Survival Training". Keep me posted. Hi to Skip....if he remembers me from my mom's house.
Post a Comment