Friday, March 14, 2008

Mangerie

WARNING: This post may contain content not suitable for the easily-embarassed. Or my dad. So if you fall into either category, you may not want to read on.

The other night I threw on a little something spicy for my husband. In modern society, it's known as lingerie. The word "lingerie" hails from the french lin, which applies to all undergarments worn by either men or women. However, as we all know, in English, it refers solely to women's undergarments designed to be visually appealing. So as not to make this post entirely useless, please refer to the following informative paragraph, courtesy of Wikipedia:

"The concept of lingerie being visually appealing is relatively recent. Up through the first half of the 20th century women selected underwear for three major purposes: to alter their shape (first with corsets and later with girdles or bras), for reasons of hygiene, or for modesty. Women's underwear was often very large and bulky. As the 20th century progressed underwear became smaller and more form fitting. In the 1960s 'controversial' lingerie manufacturers such as Frederick's of Hollywood begin to glamorize lingerie and the idea of lingerie having a sexual appeal slowly developed."

Interesting. Back to the useless portion of the story. So without necessarily divulging more than you care to know, let me just say that we hung out for awhile, me dressed in my lingerie, and my husband dressed in... WAIT A MINUTE! Here's the injustice! What was he supposed to be dressed in? He had three options: Fully clothed, down to the whites, or the birthday suit (hmm.. it IS my birthday month... so option three COULD'VE been feasible...) The poor man felt somewhat distressed. What to wear to such an event? He lamented that I had all kinds of options available, while his were sadly limited. At this point, I proposed Mangerie. (pronounced MAN-jur-ay). See below for photo example.
I'm not suggesting by any means that my husband has lingerie envy. He's not secretly hoping for a men's line of satin and lace. He's a manly man, and we're all proud of it. But I think my mangerie option is a viable one. It provides for something out of the ordinary, while promoting comfort and some coverage. While some people may be content to just call these "boxers," I think the marketing world could really capitalize by promoting them as mangerie. I bought some for my husband under this new name, and it's been great.

20 comments:

Hollywood said...

You are so hilarious! What a great idea. It is true that men don't have as many options as women. If we get all gussied up, they should as well! :)

♥Shally said...

HA!! I totally agree mangerie is in need of some marketing.

My lingerie has been collecting dust (unless you count the time my twins wore it in front of the blinds guy). I need to get it out again.

calibosmom said...

I'll give you my credit card number right now-I'm all for the mangerie!

HILLARY said...

I laughed hard. It is true. Why is it US that has to dress up (or down) for them? My husband will, um, hang out in his jammie pants - commando- Sorry. I know, TMI. BUt you started it!!!

The Mencl's said...

Ha! Ha! Andrea, you are great. What I love the most about you is that you keep it real. (I sound like Randy on American Idol.) I love to read your blog because I'm always just a little surprised at what you are comfortable posting about. Most mommy blogs are very conservative. Yours is great! And I love your posts on mine and other blogs. You are very funny because you keep it so real.

As for the mangerie idea. I think are onto something. I'll be your first customer when you release your designs. You could call it "A and B Productions" :)

Jessica said...

We had some mangerie in the beginning until we both realized I couldn't care less. About the attire. Not the activity. I like that.

Cherity said...

Hey, I just wanted to say thanks for the laugh!! Love your blog! I need to get my hubby some mangerie now, it is awkward when you look all cute and he has nothing!!

the wrath of khandrea said...

jessica- we are still in the beginning. i'll put a follow-up post in 8 years to see if the mangerie is still around.

Paige said...

Oh, they do have mangerie. It's like regular silky and shiny grey like an elephant with a place for the trunk.

I think they also have Santa ones with a BIG stocking to fill. I'll stop. I could go on. I won't.

the wrath of khandrea said...

paige- i believe those are called "fundies" and they are too ridiculous to create any kind of romantic atmosphere. like i'm gonna be attracted to the "giant elephant trunk"...

HappyBack said...

I clicked on your "mangerie" picture to get a better look. The file name? "boxers.jpg"

Those are just BOXER SHORTS. Don't Sunday it up, girl, call it what it is.

Carrie Ann said...

I have my lingerie drawer and Todd has his mangerie drawer. Whenever we took a trip I would buy him seasonal mangerie so that he would feel special, too. We also have many jokes in our respective -gerie drawers as well. We enjoy a good laugh and like to "dare" each other to wear the jokes, but there is nothing silky and lacy for him... yet. If you started a line of Mangerie I would support you, and you would make a million dollars... not a million from just me, I meant from other people as well.

Katie said...

I agree with Jessica... doesn't matter what he's wearing. it's coming off anyway.

;)

same could be said for my outfit.

okay, easy enough... no money wasted. no clothes.

Celia Fae said...

You are killing me tonight. I love my girlfriend.

So Big C used to have these silky boxers that would make an appearance once in a while. I always knew when I was in for a special treat. I think he's still got them hidden away somewhere. Sounds like Skip could use them....

Amber said...

I would seriously trademark mangerie. You could make millions!!!!!!

HappyBack said...

Don't forget the enormous gay market out there. You don't have to think about their "mangerie" moments in detail; just take their money and sock it away for more lingerie of your own.

Red Seaglass said...

This is so true. In my opinion it is the MEN who really do need to dress up. Women's bodies are a treat on their own. Men's, not so much. I think the best thing a man can do for himself is get a great set of abs. It's better than any mangerie. :)

HappyBack said...

I have a great set of abs. I value them so much, I keep them protected behind an inch-thick layer of fleshy padding.

HappyBack said...

Oh and Red Seaglass...? In THEORY, women's bodies are a treat on their own, but take a gander around next time you're in the local shopping mall's food court... egad, how these treats have been mistreated!

Monster Mary said...

My husband recently bought some fun man stuff on line. I thought it funny but then he didn't feel out of place when he gave me what he bought for me either. Funny post.