Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Eye Juice

This was yesterday. This girl was carefree, loving some time outside under an umbrella... "to keep the sunny off."

She was still my baby.
Today, she started kindergarten. She is now gone all the livelong day. I have openly mocked various friends for the tears shed sending their kids off to school. Especially that last child. I mean, come on! The freedom that now sits in front of you once all kids are in school is AMAZING!
Yeah. Well. I happen to work part time at the same school that my 2 youngest attend. So I brought them in with me this morning, ready to kick them to the curb and bask in my freedom. I walked into the classroom with Noe, she gave me a kiss goodbye, and then shooed me away with her hands. "Go now, Mom! I'm going to school!"
I turned and barely made it out the door before this stuff covered my eyeballs. It was all hot and wet, and made it difficult for me to see. Like some kind of eye juice. I had to step into the staff bathroom and bawl my eyes out for a bit, before heading off to be a teacher.
What the heck happened? I saw both Noe and Keola several times during the day around the school, and I can't even describe how proud I felt watching them navigate things so successfully. A little more eye juice.
-sigh-
So much for super tough mama.

21 comments:

Skip said...

Noe should graduate in the summer of 2021. I'll cry with one eye and look for a place to move to that's too far for the kids to "just drop by" with the other eye.

Annie said...

Weird. That eye juice stuff has shown up around here on occasion, too. It's so strange when it just shows up all of the sudden. Mine coincides with a heart weight of some kind, too.

Let's start an eye juice support group, k?

♥Shally said...

To quote a very good friend of mine:


ha ha ha ha. hee hee.
HAHAHAHAHA... hee hee hee.
heh. heh heh heh.
HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!
HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

(that is me, laughing uproariously)



he he he...
still laughing...

I knew Noe could pull the soft side out of you... ☺

Bridget said...

I openly mock as well. Yet every first day of school that eye juice keeps coming back. For a VERY short period of time though. That it turns to eye juice of joy.

diane said...

I agree with Bridget,it maybe joy juice.

Clair said...

Funny how allergy symptoms flare up at such times. Noe is a doll!! Love the blue umbrella pics.

gab said...

"Eye juice"! I'm stealin' that one...

Christie said...

I am hereby revoking your heartless mother club card, and I remain the sole member and club president. What happened? You left me hanging all on account of your stupid eye juice.

I'm so disappointed.

Katie said...

me too... only my baby is almost 8 and 3rd grade.

BIG SIGH.

Lisa-Marie said...

Oh yeah, I knew you were fooling us all along! Even tough girls cry!

Darling pictures. And she does not look like a kindergartner. You better watch out in a few years. Those 6th grade boys are going to be loving that cutie pie!

lisha said...

Emma started Kindergarten the other day too--I think there is something in the air that Kindergarten teachers spray to invoke the on-set of eye juice. It came on with literally no warning.

Tristan said...

Eye juice sounds gross. But I am glad you had a moment. I have yet to cry about Maddie going to school. I guess actually going to Kindergarten is different then preschool. But I feel for all the Mommies out there who have cried!

Hazen5 said...

Awwwww, it's good to see you are still a softie! She looked adorable.

Ilene said...

I don't believe you. Your just saying this to keep up with all the other blogging moms.

This of course is coming from a mom who has no kids in school and dreams of the day in which I can send them away for a few hours...

HappyBack said...

This one time, I got kicked in the groin really hard, and eye juice sprang to my eyes, but I didn't allow it to spill out onto my cheeks.

So I guess I can relate.

Rynell said...

That eye juice gets me every time.

Jessica said...

You can cry AND bask. Both are compatible and allowed and understandable.

Jenibelle said...

Christie...I still belong to the club.

Andrea, you let me down. Nary a tear here. (I save it for graduations then I cry, big time.)

Carrie Ann said...

That happened to me once... I just kept asking myself: "What is this salty discharge?" It was unpleasant.

But hooray for all that extra alone time, but wait... you're at the school anyway... hmmm.

Linsey said...

My baby is 7 months old, the first day of school seems so, so, so far away.

Paige said...

Skip is freakin' hilarious. I didn't cry but I did have to run out of the preschool and throw up because apparently that's how I deal with any emotion. If I could rustle up more emotion perhaps I'd be skinnier.

I want a lazy kid chart. 3 of 'em please. I pay.