Monday, August 11, 2008

Reasons

Blogging is fantastic because you can meet so many great people. But the creme de la creme of it all is that you can put your best foot forward. It's the cutest pictures of your kids, the best family moments captured with smiles and love.
That said, it becomes clear that there is a risk you take when meeting your blog friends in real life. We were passing through Shally's neck of the woods last week, and decided to invite ourselves over. Here are the reasons meeting a blog friend's family in real life is a bad idea:

1. Your boys will probably wrestle, which will probably get out of hand, which will probably lead to crying and punching.

2. Your daughter might want to hold the baby. Chokehold the baby.

3. You might go to the playground, where your husband could do embarrassing things like hog the toys, even throwing his own child to the ground or leaving another child off in order to have a turn for himself.


4. Your child could spin so much that he or she gets dizzy, and consequently vomits, grossing out everyone and losing cuteness.

5. You and your spouse might pull up at your blog friend's house right in the middle of a heated discussion regarding parenting. You will then have to pretend that you are excited and happy, when really you are thinking the 60+ hours you've spent in the car together may be a bit much. You may even make the mistake of trying to continue your heated discussion at the playground, which will result in an awkward situation for everyone involved. There are no pictures of this.

All that said, there are plenty of good reasons to go ahead and introduce your families.

1. Your kids will get over all their irritating behaviors. They will like each other.

2. Your daughter will finally meet Banky, and be thrilled. Banky will survive the chokehold.

3. You will get an inside look at real life for both parties, and you will further appreciate your friend's parenting skills, personality, and pets. Well, the last part is a lie.

4. Your husbands will see why you enjoy spending time online with "these people" and will have a greater appreciation for your blogging hobby.

5. You get to become better friends than you were before.


Shal, you rock. We had a blast and it was great to not eat restaurant food yet again. You're especially super to put us up in the middle of your coming and going, as well as an impending move. We owe you one.

12 comments:

Tristan said...

Fun pictures! Blogging frieds are the best!

Christie said...

Yes, yes, all well and good. But when are you going to be in MY NECK OF THE WOODS?

Anna said...

I'm still waiting for you to show up on my doorstep. Oh! I finally understand why you won't come. It's Rusty isn't it?

Katie said...

hello?! been waiting forever for a blog! thank you... sheesh, as if you haven't been home or something!

Love the pics! glad the choke hold was survived!

Ilene said...

Hey, the picture of you and Shally is adorable and really, that is all that matters.

Yay for blog friends!

Celia Fae said...

Whew. She's back. I love that your two worlds have collided so thoroughly.

The thing about Shally is that she's so gorgeous that its hard to get over it. Then you do and she's a nice, intelligent person. She's the package.

Paige said...

Good reasons for blogging, all. 60+ hours of driving and I'd be staying in prison for hurting people, not a cute friend's house.

HappyBack said...

I should have blown off my responsibilities and met up with you guys while you were down here. Then I could have had my very own "blogging friend" entry.

I suck.

Naw, just kidding, I freaking rule.

Tanyetta said...

I love #4. I am going to work on this. Maybe he'll understand why I'm on the phone cracking up with a woman I've never met but, share the most amazing bond with.

He's like ummm she lives in your computer? What is wrong with you woman!

He just doesn't get it ;)

♥Shally said...

Oh-- I was SO glad to have you! I just wish we would have had more time to chat!

LOVED your family. Jax is already asking when you will be coming back!

The Hooper Family said...

You totally don't know me but I had to post! I hit discover on my google reader and it pulled up your blog. I was reading this post thinking those kids look familiar, then I saw Shally! My hubby and hers were college roomies! Just struck me asbeing such a small world! Glad you got to meet them in person...they are great people!!

Hollyween said...

I had no idea that this took place! Shally really is awesome, isn't she?

Looks like you guys had fun barfing and all.