Thursday, May 8, 2008

Ser-Lhe A Dado

Most likely because my mission was by far the most spiritual time of my life, I often think spiritually in Portuguese. The title of this post translates to "it will be given him". This was certainly my experience during Women's Conference. (Yes, yes, it's time for the religious insights. I can't have my posterity thinking I was nothing but a goofball.)

For the past couple of years, I have struggled with some very negative feelings towards an individual in my life. It has consumed me at times, and I have felt hate and anger like I didn't know I was capable of feeling. I have sought out advice, I have wanted to rid myself of those feelings, but I have not been successful.
I went to Women's Conference with the sole purpose of finding an answer to this struggle. And you know... I did. I went to a variety of workshops, covering such topics as Strengthening Your Marriage, Building Faith, and Finding Happiness Amid Fear. Even though the topics were all different, I continually heard the same messages. This is the doctrine of personal revelation. It is a key component of the LDS church. We believe God hears and answers prayers, and that we can seek out His will for us. It's not just a blind faith... like pray and God will provide. That's where our doctrine of works comes into play. We have to be willing to go and do what the Lord commands.
So if the Lord commands you to let go of hate in your heart, you just have to do it. If He commands you to forgive, to pray, to seek Him out, then you do it. And in turn, His grace will compensate for our lack of ability to be perfect in those commandments. In this instance, those things have been hard for me. But I truly felt the desire to reframe my thoughts, to discipline myself mentally, and to move forward. I recognize that I have no control over what other people do. I may have to deal with this situation for years and years. But how I handle the situation inside of myself is a direct reflection of my faith. Someone quoted a scripture that said "I will order all things for your good as fast as ye are able to receive them."
This process is continual. I am thankful the Lord saw fit to order a few more things for my good, that in His time I have become more prepared to accept this principle and apply it in my life. I recognize my responsibility in handling this trial, but I gratefully accept His guidance in doing so. E ser-lhe a dado... what was given me was peace. That comforting scripture in John 14:27... "Peace I leave with you, My peace I give unto you" The Savior left His disciples with that peace in their time of need, and surely He does the same for each of us.
Will I ever be perfect in this trial? I don't know. But I am thankful to be taught line upon line, and I recognize the love of my Savior in my life. Estou grata que foi me a dado.

19 comments:

♥Shally said...

I so needed that.

SO NEEDED THAT.

Thank you...

HILLARY said...

thank you for sharing yours thoughts. i'm in a pretty low place right now and i need to hear these things. i'm glad we don't have to face these challenges in our lives alone. i love that HE makes up for what we cannot. Thank you!
xoxo

diane said...

Man, was I supposed to have a spiritual experience?! I did write that hymn...As Sisters in Blogland.
That was thought provoking. I have issues with forgivness. Well, I'm ok with forgiving but I never forget!

gab said...

Thanks, Andrea. I appreciate your insight. Great reminder for me.

Jessica said...

Same here, but the people I was having problems with were my kids and my failures at handling them...guess what? I got the same messages (of being easier of myself) and being more focused of their needs instead of mine, in just about every session.

Love personal revelation.

More of these kinds of posts, please.

Annemarie said...

This was really thought provoking and inspiring Andrea. I really appreciate your honesty and your testimony! Do you hire out for consultations?? You are awesome!

Anna said...

Amen.

Heidiram said...

Wow. Thank you so much for that beautiful post. I really needed this type of spiritual message today.

And please teach me Portuguese. I run into more and more Brazilians every day. And the whole "I'll speak to you in Spanish and you respond back to me in Portuguese" is getting kind of old.

HappyBack said...

Jeez, TWO YEARS ago I blew a snot rocket in your pudding. I thought you'd notice I had done it before you served it up to your book club dinner group. How many times do I have to say sorry??

I had no idea you still carried the grudge, but I'm glad you finally got over it. Cause last week? I clipped my toenials in your salad, right over some of the croutons....

Clair said...

...and all this time I thought you were just a goofball!... hmmm... :)

Cindi M said...

I loved this. I too have struggled, wrestled with forgiveness of certain people. I have had a stranglehold on those feelings because I'm right and they are clearly wrong (and in many cases, this is totally true). It is such a process. I'm in the middle of another one, a HUGE one, right now too, and you put it so well. If the Lord asks me to work through this, then I do it.

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

You always make me smile! I am SOOOO glad that you had a great weekend. You deserve it all.

Tristan said...

This was very touching! I needed to hear this. I would to tell ya all about it, but then that would be the LONGEST comment ever recorded. So I will just say this -

My Mother-in-law.

Enough said, I think you catch my drift :)

brittany said...

DOn't you love that? I was just talking to my friend about how it doesn't really matter what the talk/lesson/scripture/conversation is about - it can vary so much, and yet the spirit helps you understand what YOU need to take from the message. Thanks for sharing:)

calibosmom said...

That was awesome! Thanks for sharing your thoughts and feelings-I think everyone that reads it will gets the same yet different message from it. I'm glad you are feeling peace about a tough situation.

Bridget said...

What a great post, Andrea. I have struggled with some of these feelings too. Unfortunately for me it is with someone in my extended family which made it even trickier. I am slowly overcoming too. I SO wish I could have actually gone to Women's Conference. But at least I made it to the most important part, the Blog Party.

Celia Fae said...

What? You can be all funny in my comments but then when I come over I have to be touched and inspired. Thanks a lot.

Lisa-Marie said...

I love that every time I read your blog you reveal a new layer of yourself. It's so fun and intriguing!

I appreciate your testimony. This is one facet of blogland that I love. YOu just never know when it might be testimony meeting. I'm glad that you are beginning to feel some peace. I hope it increases every day.

I love that scripture about being given when we are ready to receive. Beautiful. Do you happen to know the reference?

Lorie B said...

The teacher was just taught by the student... (okay, so it was before Noah's ark that I was your teacher...but you get the point...very timely lesson. Thanks...