They had an awesome flag display at the local cemetery. Check out the slideshow below for more shots.I took the kids to the cemetery today. I realize it may seem a bit morbid, but I want them to have some kind of connection to their past. History is so valuable, yet so overlooked. At WalMart today, there was a veteran handing out Red Poppies "for the boys who didn't come home." I felt so emotional when I looked at him. Tom Brokaw calls them "The Greatest Generation" and I couldn't agree more. One of my favorite things to do is sit with older men who have fought in wars. They understand hard work, they understand sacrifice, they understand loyalty and commitment. I sometimes feel sad for the younger generations, that these things might be lost to them.
War is never a good thing. It can produce good results, but often at a high price. Skip has been to war a lot. He has seen it all. I would not have traded places with him for anything in the world. I'd rather not detail his experiences today, but I appreciate Memorial Day for the opportunity it gives me to reflect on them. And I am grateful he is alive, he is my husband, and we are for eternity.
13 comments:
AB - We had similar experiences today. I'm grateful to feel the patriotic surge on a day like today. Your pics are great, I just may commission you to take a family pic for our christmas cards. AB
Good Memorial Day to you! My Dad was drafted into the Vietnam war when he was just 18. I get my patriotism from him. He loves this country and especially those who fight.
Good post! The pictures are gorgeous!
I totally agree with you that loyalty and sacrifice is getting lost... I worry about my kids never truly knowing what that is.
And I don't think graveyards are morbid at all. I love the feeling of past generations whenever I go there. I love to look at really old gravestones wonder about the people that lived so long ago...
My dad has ancestors that came from England buried in Utah County, generations of his line are there. It is awesome.
I am so proud of you for trying to teach your children something so important. Thanks!
I always LOVED hearing stories about WWII from my grandpas. It wasn't until I was older and my dad mentioned the toll the war had on his dad both physically and mentally did I truly appreciate and reverence his and other veterans' sacrifice.
Thanks for reminding me to take the time to teach my children the importance of Memorial DAy. And thanks to your husband for all of his sacrifices (and yours) as he continues to serve our country!
I get a big lump in my throat when I see a vet or anyone in an armed forces uniform-I usually thank them and they get this look of surprise on their face-like no one ever says that. It makes me sad to think not many people would say thank you to them. Thanks Skip! Thanks to you as well Andrea and your kids for the sacrifice.
Love it!! I love this country, I love the SERVICEmen who sacrifice so much for us. I love that they are called SERVICEmen, because that's what they do each and every day, give service to this country and all of us individually.
So sweet, and awesome flag shots! You little photographer, you.
Oh, and don't worry about those electrical wires. He's had enough x-rays in his life that he's got plenty of electric zooming through his body. that IS how it works, right? :o)
Thanks to all of you for your service and sacrifice!
I loved that Tom Brokaw book "The Greatest Generation." Good for you for teaching your kids something during the holiday. We were just plain lazy here.
Loved it! Thank you...
As for the comment you left me, Good morning POT . . . (calling the kettle black). Ms. 2:31 A.M. commenter. You crack me up girl!
You are my hero too Skip! Gorgeous shots, you are getting too good girl.
Post a Comment