Thursday, February 21, 2008

Here, There and Everywhere

After Brooke bore her testimony about Office Depot in her comment on my last post, I decided to follow her advice. I went knowing I wanted organization. Well believe me you, they have something for everyone. Twenty bucks and two hours later, I used this: and this:

to achieve this:



I got one item to organize the mail, one to organize everyone's myriad number of papers, and one item for pencils, pens, etc. Now the trick will be to see if everyone can play along. I gave the kids a briefing on how it is supposed to work. They seemed enthused. I'll take a picture in a week, spontaneously, and see what it looks like. Thanks for the motivation, Clair.

On a separate note, we have a horse trough in the yard where we keep some goldfish. It's our attempt at "pets". Anyway, we were asking around this fall about what to do with them once winter hit. We were assured that even though the trough would probably freeze over, the fish would "come back to life" when it warmed up. I'm more of a city girl than a country girl, so to say I was skeptical would be an understatement. But what does a city girl know? It warmed up, and I went out with a net to scoop up the dead fish that were sure to be floating on the surface. Imagine my surprise when I found this:

Four happy, albeit slow, goldfish swimming around in the water. I threw in some fish food and chalked this up as a learning experience. Then I emailed the picture to Skip and said WHATTYA KNOW? He is, like me, a no-pet guy. But he has a strange affinity for these fish. Here was his reply to my email:
Did they ask about me? They look kind of thin, are they okay? Do they remember you? Tell them daddy loves them and will be home later to tuck them in.
What a guy.
Anyway. It really made me start thinking about frozen foods, but I stopped quickly because I started to feel sick.
And lastly, here are the kids. Don't ask me what they're looking at. I don't remember.

8 comments:

martha corinna said...

The organization is inspirational. I am supposed to be organizing for the move, but I am not very inspired. Keep posting.
There are a # of people on my side of the mountain who have gold fish ponds in their back yard. They survive the winter only to be eaten by the fox in the spring. Nature is cruel.

Katie said...

well now I need to know what they're looking at!

frozen fish... crazy.

nice counter... but I'm a realist... it won't last. sorry, gotta speak the truth... you know as well as I, that there is always a counter in the house that takes the daily crap. Mine is a desk. Yours is a kitchen counter. No matter how much you work on it... it comes back. Always.

I will need updates to see if I'm wrong.

;)

Marie said...

I'm very impressed, the counter looks fabulous, I can't believe it only cost $20 and I am excited to see the follow-up photo!

calibosmom said...

I bought the organization stuff for my desk and now the organization stuff is filled with crap-its a conundrum. Skip is a trip-Do they remember me?

the wrath of khandrea said...

katie, i like how you say "realist" instead of "pessimist." now i have this driving need to remain organized so that it doesn't come back to haunt me.

-but sadly-

i'm sure you're right. it's not like i've never tried this before. maybe now the public accountability will spur me on.

Clair said...

Love the countertop! If it doesn't stay perfect, it will still be an improvement right? Good job.
Wow, the frozen fish reviving- that is weird. Not only do I wonder if the fish remember Skip, but I wonder if they remember anything at all...
You are hilarious- I can't believe you said you started thinking differently about frozen foods. Ha!

♥Shally said...

My counter tops are always clean-- it is my DRAWERS that are terrible. I stuff all the crap from the top of the counter in them, so some days I really have to shove to get them closed!!

I am with Katie too-- please remember what they are looking at!

Also, pets are one thing where we differ--I am a total pet person. My husband is not. I want a dog. He thinks that somehow he will win and we won't get one. I don't know how, in 9 years of marriage, he hasn't figured out that when you tell me NOT to do something-- it makes me want to do it EVEN MORE. So as soon as we get grass, I am going to the shelter.

I think I got off on a tangent... sorry!

The Mencl's said...

Great job on the counter! I hope that it stays that way! Forever. (I'm not a realist, I'm a dreamer. I'm happier that way!) And the fish thing is amazing. I wouldn't have believed it either. I always thought goldfish were kind of fragile. Very cool and nice idea for some pets! Do you have to clean the trough when it is outside like that?