So. I've had a little exposure to the love and logic program in the past. Enough to give me a general idea, but not enough for me to grab ahold of it and really implement it as a parent. I've used it teaching, and it's great. But parenting is a different arena. The course is being offered at Keola's school in the evenings, so Skip and I signed up for it. We have been pleasantly surprised.As the name implies, because you love your children, you want to teach them and discipline them using logic. After all, that's how the real world works, right? You have all kinds of different choices. Sometimes you make the right ones, sometimes you don't. You don't get rescued when you make mistakes, but you do make a whole lot of them. Ideally, you learn from them to avoid repeating them. And a little empathy goes a long way in the process.
So let me give you an example of the theory in practice. We planned to take the kids out for lunch today. Early this morning (snow day) I gave them a choice:
We would love to take you out for lunch today. You may choose to have kind behavior towards one another and select a meal off the menu, or you may choose to be unkind to one another and have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich instead.
The morning went fairly well. We drove over to pick up Skip at lunch time, and it looked a little somethin' like this in the van:
Skip got in the car, I told him we had a situation, and we got out of the car to conference. We got back in the car, and I said, "Darn it, this is such a bummer guys. We were so excited to have lunch at the restaurant today, but I can see you've chosen peanut butter and jelly instead." There was a stunned silence. Skip and I ordered some food to go, and ate it in the car. It smelled WONDERFUL, and the van was peaceful and serene as we talked to each other over lunch. In the back of my mind, I kept waiting for a fit from someone, some more screaming or crying about how unfair it was. Nothing. They understood that they had chosen peanut butter and jelly. When Skip returned to work, he just reinforced by saying, "I'm bummed out we didn't get to eat lunch together today guys. I was really looking forward to it. Maybe next time!"
I drove them home and made them peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, which they hungrily ate. I'm going to chalk this one up to a successful parenting moment on a snow day. And to the angels above us who are silent notes taking, that's worth a lot.
14 comments:
wow, the fact that they sat there in silence? amazing. my boys' silence would have meant that they were silently planning my demise.
Such an amazing parent you are.
And nice reenactment pics... ;)
I took the Love & Logic classes a few years ago. Very, very good.
Sounds like your little experience worked just as it should!
SO SO good. I have been meaning to delve deeper into Love and Logic, because it is so me, but haven't. I want them to have a class up here about it!
(What are you doing up here on the 22nd? Email me.)
Absolutely Brilliant! I must try it!
AHHHH.....
I love it when kids understand the consequences of their choices!
Good work!
Since they seem to be so few and far between, it is important that we document successful parenting moments. I think I am due for one. It's been a few months.
WOW! Sign me up for classes. Congratulations on the awesome parenting and follow-through.
...so I dated this horrible woman about 4 or 5 years back, and she had a little terror of a 3-year-old, and when said 3-year-old acted up, she (the Mom) would cry and say, "Nicole, ple-ea-ea-ease.... plea-ea-ea-ea-ease do what I ask you, PLEA-EA-EA-EASE..."
and I would say to her, "Why are you ASKING a THREE-YEAR-OLD to do ANYTHING?" and then I'd turn to said 3-year-old and say, "DO WHAT YOUR MOTHER TELLS YOU."
and she'd do it.
and damn, what a great story-teller I am.
and I was going to say, hook me up with Katie's number, but crap, she's married.
I'm buyin' that book today!!! It sounds like its right up my alley-passive aggressive and lovin' it!!!
Way to go girl! Must have been hard to deny them lunch out, but you stuck to your guns and a lesson was taught. Great concept- someone should write a book about that... oh... I'm glad you are finding the Love and Logic class a good one. A couple of years ago Dave and I signed up for a parenting class that my Parents As Teachers lady (who I adored and who always had great disciplining advice) was teaching. It turned out it was one of those classes that some parents are REQUIRED to take for who knows what ungodly reason. Once a comment was even made that "hey we are all here for the same reason, to get the certificate to show the judge." BYE BYE! Dave and I were outta there- Parenting Class Drop Outs. It wasn't quite what we had hoped for! Good reminder about the Love and Logic plan-- it was highly recommended by Paul's preschool teacher and I am a BIG fan of hers-Mrs. Brown (you might remember from PACE.)
Love it. I love when the consequences work. Davd and I like to quote Mission Impossible when it comes to discipline. "You find a pressure point, and squeeze." There's always someway to get to them. You just hit em where it hurts. Not literally of course.
Sorry about the Matt Cox prom thing. I didn't know at the time that you were so mad. I didn't find out how mad you were about it till I moved away and heard all the bad-mouthing you did about me. It hurt, but I get over stuff fast. Plus ho's before bro's right? It would be fun to get out the photo books we put together of ourselves huh? I need to dig around for those...Love ya girl!
I am SO impressed. That was awesome and probably taught them WAY more than any lecture would have. I love parenting moments like that!
...speaking of Matt Cox, I was going to go to his Super Bowl party last week, but he got tickets to the game at the last second and canceled the bash so he could go watch the CHOKE OF THE CENTURY! LIVE!
I took love and logic a couple years back and it worked like a charm. Then, I slowly slipped back to my old ways and can't remember what I'm supposed to say anymore. I'm sure some of it stuck with me but I definitely need a refresher course. This year I had to skip out because it was on Thursday nights and I have mutual on Thursdays. Next year, I will definitely be attending.
I once took a parenting class for "those parents" that was given at the child abuse center and I loved it. Don't we all need all the help we can get?
Thanks for always being so honest in your posts. I love the reality and I can really relate to you.
Post a Comment