Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Hamp!


This weekend we went to the Lionel Hampton Jazz Festival. We both love music, and were excited to have a night out alone with some good jazz. We were not disappointed. My 2 favorite parts of the evening were John Hendricks, and a drum war between the 2 percussionists. John Hendricks is the originator of vocalese. And he's about 5 feet tall and older than dirt. They helped him up on that stage and he threw out some serious scat. We checked out some of his recordings when we got home, and when he was a bit younger, he had a really strong voice. But there he was, in his aged glory, entertaining a stadium full of people. His story is very interesting, so check out the link.
The percussionists were unreal. They drummed so hard and so fast, it felt like thunder. Rhythmic thunder. I found myself wanting to scream like I did at LL Cool J concerts. (Only this time, there was no throwing underwear on the stage...) (I'm kidding. I never did that before).
We had a super time. I totally enjoy going out with my husband. We topped the night off with a romantic evening at the supermarket. Well, minus the romantic part. Anyway, it was a great night out, and I got to find a few more songs to throw into our iTunes. (If you're interested, check out my new favorite: Salud! Joao Gilberto, By John Hendricks. It's John, doing a tribute to Brazilian Joao Gilberto, originator of the Bossanova. Love the Portuguese flavor blended with Jazz and Bossanova).

15 comments:

martha corinna said...

So fun. I love good music and enjoy being able to get out to listen to it (which is so rare these days).
I wrote a reply to you on my blog but then thought why didn't I write it on her blog, oh well.

♥Shally said...

Okay, I don't know if you got half a comment from me...

I started to type, then I heard screaming twins, the phone rang, and I had to feed Cam. I came back and the screen was at my home page.

Soooo, what I was trying to say, is:

In 8th grade I fell in love with Marshall Skinner who played drums for the band (yes, the school band-- don't laugh). He was awesome. But when I saw him out of his "element" he was just a very short, scrawny kid with a mullet and a rocker t-shirt.

My fire burned out.

Anyway, still love the drums. I'm going to check out your links.

Bridget said...

That sounds so fun. I love Jazz too.

My husband and I lived in the Boston area for four years. Nice to see a fellow blogger from New England.

I had to check out your blog. I see your comments on so many of my virtual friends' blogs. Are you going to blogapalooza?

Katie said...

well yeah, romantic evenings at the supermarket to top it off?? how come I didn't think of that?!

I'm glad you guys had such a good time... you need those every once in a while

Lauren in GA said...

Andrea,
I just had to come over and read your blog because I have been laughing so hard at your comments on other peoples blogs for months, now. I think you are very witty :) Of course, don't feel any undue pressure to be witty...I just wanted to pay you a sincere compliment. I also have to say that you have a GORGEOUS family. Whoa! So...now I am going to go lurk on your blog some more...just thought I would confess...

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

funny, I think our Saturday night dates always end at the grocery store. Have to have stuff for Sunday!
Sounds like it was a fun night.

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

cute family pics in the family album. Cause you know I always have time to kill to see your pictures.

lisamarie said...

good for you. something about a good concert that makes life seem so fun and good - glad you made the time to do it. i love going to the grocery store alone with Tosh (which would ONLY take place after a date and by force...). We end up laughing so much and being silly meandering through the cereal isle.

BTW, did i ever mention to you that I met Gilberto Gil a few months ago? We had a stimulating conversation about CV. He's coming for a special concert this summer for a project that I'm involved with...maybe if the timing is right with your summer trip, you and I can hit that one together. Not sure what we'd throw...

the wrath of khandrea said...

lis-- we'll bring our best calcinhas to throw. there will be lancando-a-plenty.

Lauren in GA said...

Andrea!
I just had the most enjoyable time reading the posts that you sent me! *Phew* HILARIOUS!

I nodded a knowing, "YES!!!" when I read your words that someone has, "issues with accuracy". I also laughed heartily at your putting your bathroom on lockdown!!!

I also read with great delight, the post about how you solved the puddle problems...you are a trail blazer as far as I am concerned and I consider these two posts comforting and very sage advice. Thank you.

Celia Fae said...

You and Skip look great. But you know that, don't you? Is he naturally bald or does he shave? I need to know if I should be imagining stubble....

Marie said...

A night with no kids? Sounds romantic enough to me. I love grocery shopping dates. Oh, and rodeos....they're my favorite.

calibosmom said...

It wouldn't be a proper date if it didn't end at Walmart buying cereal or a cute shirt for one of your kids. YES! I buy clothes at Walmart-oh, the horror!

the wrath of khandrea said...

celia, yeah... i know. we're total hotties. and yeah, he shaves.

Clair said...

Okay Andrea, you are moving into the BIG time. Had to leave a comment, not because I had anything related to your post to share, but beacause if I left a comment that would get you up to 15 comments (though I know you don't care about stuff like that) maybe even more! Well, know that I've thought about it for more than 3 seconds I will add this bit of music trivia... did you know that I met the band Slaughter about 16 years ago? Yeah. And then my friend and I submitted our picture to METAL EDGE magazine and it got in... those were some good days... sigh...