i could actually fit the whole wooden spoon inside, but i choose to leave the edge sticking out. not because it's trendy, or adds to the haute couture of my exotic lifestyle. no. i leave it sticking out so that while we're in church, it's clearly visible to my children.
just in case you're confused, we're not whipping up cake mix during meetings. but when little people "forget to behave" (read: willfully disobey), sometimes it helps to have a reminder of what could happen.
it's a simple procedure: i nudge them gently with my arm or my foot. then i glance down at the pocket book on the floor. there's the handle, smiling with a menacing gentleness that only wooden spoons and mothers posess. then i nod my head up and down twice, while also smiling. and if drastic measures are required, i just pull another inch of the spoon from my bag. increasing its visibility is effective. everyone has gotten a spoon spank at least once in their lives, so they know it's no joke.
it works. it's a method not to be trifled with. and the best part of all this is that everyone sitting around me thinks i can corral my children's behavior with a simple smile and nod. WE-ARE-A-HA-PEE-FAM-UH-LY.
7 comments:
too funny- I am a wooden spoon fan myself. back in flw when i was teaching sunbeams I brought one to class because I was suppose to bring some things made of wood- well, derek tennant got a hold of it and immediately started spanking his own bottom- i think we are not alone
ps- now my Faith is the "most rambuctious" sunbeam in our branch, yesterday being her first day-- I'm teaching ctr 5's and spent the whole time huffing and puffing trying to keep her under control, well me, the prim pres, her teacher and a counselor sort of took turns
That wooden spoon comes to you naturally. Tell the truth, there is an indentation au derrier.
Mr. Spoon
i'm not sure, but i think ANONYMOUS is my DAD!
DAD- YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT MY BUTT IN PUBLIC!!! JEESH!!
LOVE the bag. Fnny thingabout the spoon, it's my husband that threatens, and it's a spatula. My mom broke too many spoons on my brothers butts, so I don't think I take it very seriously!
Admirable. A simple nod and a smile. I bet everyone wishes they could be as Molly as you!
I was wooden-spooned in my life...though my mom (who has seriously forgotten any parenting errors she made--thus my guilt attacks in MY post)says she never actually used it. She did. Don't believe her.
Love the red purse. A little afraid of the spoon.
Post a Comment