Friday, April 10, 2009

Two Birthdays and an Easter (and pictures of none)

First off, thanks for all the advice. When it comes to parenting, aren't we all just flying by the seat of our pants? I guess the pants just fit better on some than on others. I'm still struggling to get mine buttoned up right. We have talked about it a lot over the past several weeks; I think we are going to give them a copy of the booklet For the Strength of Youth. (a book of guildelines put out for the youth in the LDS church). Someone pointed out that if they're old enough to be in a situation requiring guidelines, then they're old enough to read the guidelines.
Really, the goal is to teach them to internalize good choices. While this doesn't absolve us of setting limits and guidelines, we want them to make choices simply because it's the right thing to do. It's harder with Jordan and Sam because we don't have much say in their day to day lives when they're not with us. (you already know my thoughts on kids and cell phones for social purposes... totally ridiculous) Parenting is hard because you want so much for your kids, but really, life is theirs to learn and grow from. Hopefully, when you get your occasional strokes of parental genius they'll be open to them... but you can't force it.

Anyway.

This year we got super lucky. Jordan and Samantha are here for their spring break, and it happens to fall on Noe's birthday, Samantha's birthday, and Easter. Three holidays that we never get to celebrate together, and this year the planets aligned and we got all three.










Jordan said to me, "I like that picture. It makes me look like a fun-loving guy." He kills me.



We took Samie out for her birthday with a friend, we had Noe's party with too many friends, and we're looking forward to new outfits and an Easter Sunday tomorrow. And of course EVERYONE in the family is REALLY SUPER EXCITED about dressing up and taking some pictures tomorrow. It's all they talk about, really. "Mom! Can we go take family pictures now? Please? Can we?"
What? Did you call me a liar?
Yeah. I prefer the term "wishful thinker".
Happy Easter!

10 comments:

Clair said...

Hey, fresh models! They actually look like they are enjoying this. That's cute what Jordan said. :)

Lauren in GA said...

I love that idea about having the kids read "For Strength of Youth". That was such fabulous advice. I totally agree with the logic of, if they, "are old enough to be in the situation requiring guidelines then they are old enough to read the guidelines." So good.

That is so lovely that the planets aligned and you all got to celebrate together.

Those are great pictures and I loved that, "fun-loving guy" comment.

I love that you are a wishful thinker. I am totally into wish fulfillment.

diane said...

My fly is sometimes open on my parenting pants...so embarassing.

You took some beautiful photos of the kids. I love the first one and all the expressions you captured. I'm looking forward to the Easter Parade.

Bridget said...

I love that Jordan recognizes that he looks like a "fun-loving guy." That is so funny. What kid calls them self fun-loving? Congrats on getting your holidays aligned. Please post the Easter pics tomorrow.

Christie said...

BEAUTIFUL pictures. Absolutely love them. Love the light, the slight vignette, the expressions. Well done, you.

Red Seaglass said...

K I know I'm the worst blog checker in the world. I read like 12 posts down to get a good idea of what is going on with you. Glad you are happy and in love and looking good and having fun with your kids. xoxo

♥Shally said...

Great pictures!

And ya, um... good luck getting everyone dressed up and happy for pics!! ;)

The Prestwich's said...

You do such a good job with the camera. The kids are pretty adorable too! When are you going to hook me up and make me look adorable ( I know... it's a pretty big challenge)?

jessica said...

You have quite the funloving guy on your hands...I love how you actually got pictures of your kids with natural smiles.

I'm glad you were able to celebrate all that good stuff together. Sounds fabulous!

Oh and I'm glad you got your hands on the FSTOY booklet. I'm sure it will help.

HappyBack said...

Hey, who's this Jessica chick? Is she married? va va voom!

waitaminute... now that I look closer, is she even old enough for me to be commenting on her....?