Thursday, June 5, 2008

Don't Get Your Forehead Oil On My Window

So. This is first time I've done one of these. You know, people tell you what to post about, and you obey them...? It looked like so much fun on everyone else's post. But everytime I thought about doing it, I got all anxious. As part of my self-awareness journey (read: total life makeover) I have made an effort to let go of the image of perfection I so crave. Mind you, I'm painfully aware of my many imperfections, but the image of perfection is valuable to me. That said, I promised myself I wouldn't cheat. With Jessica as my example of honesty, and Christie as my motivation to just do it, here you are:

The only rule is that you have to take the picture as-is. No tidying up, no insisting the world pretends along with you that your life and home are perfect. Just an honest cyber-peek into your home.

1. My Kitchen Sink:
I squeezed lemons over some chicken for grilling tonight. Some peels didn't make it down the disposal. And the sink desperately needs a scrubbing. I'm sure after this exposure, it will be done this evening.


2. My Refrigerator:
A little low right now... trying to finish things off before we leave. You'll notice a container of Cool Whip. For the record, I hate Cool Whip. But we were invited to a get together and I brought a dessert that had Cool Whip in the recipe. This is the leftover stuff. Sadly, this was about 2 weeks ago. But I hear this stuff has the shelf-life of a Twinkie.



3. My Laundry:

In light of recent conversations, I found it amusing that my blue bra was hanging to dry next to my washer. The towel is left over from last night's dip in the hot tub.
4. My Favorite Room:

My favorite room is the dining room, because I love to cook, I love to eat, and I love to do it as a family. Nah, really, I just love our new table and find this to be the cleanest, nicest looking room in the house.

The room we spend the most time in is the living room. Ilene recently moved down the street from me... waaaay down the street... but just finished decorating the new house. I love what she (read: her mom) did, and I would love some inspiration for these huge white walls. The ceilings are high and I have no idea how to decorate them.
5. My Toilet:
It's clean. What else do you want to know? My magazine basket is not organized, obviously well-used, and dangerously close to the splash zone. *Note to self: move magazine basket over at least 7 inches.*


6. My Closet:

Generally an organized place. Shirts hung by style, color, and sleeve length on the top. Bottom rack features pants, capris and skirts. Left side is husband's clothes, right side are my sweaters. I know... get a life.

We like to play Scene It in bed at night. We have to hide it in the closet up high, so the mongers don't get into it.


7. What the kids are doing right now:

When I took these pictures several hours ago, the boys were supposed to be grounded in their rooms for incredibly obnoxious behavior earlier this morning. They were, instead, building suits of armor out of cardboard boxes. They look genuinely sorry for their bad behavior.

Noe took advantage of my leaving the kitchen to sniff some white chocolate chips. We were going to make banana bread today, with white chocolate chips. It didn't happen, so I gave her the chocolate chips to eat since sniffing them was such a desperate measure.
8. Favorite Shoes:
I love mean, wicked shoes. Like I told Liz, I like shoes that make your back hurt. This is probably one of the reasons I have such back problems. But oh well. They look so damn good!

9. Self-Portrait Right Now:
I had to have Keola take this for me. I haven't even showered today... it's the first day of no school for the kids, and we were absolutely lazy. My husband is out of town, so effort is minimal. I don't even have any makeup leftover from yesterday. So this is me... au natural. Be thankful you don't have to experience the au natural breath that comes along with the look.


And there you have it. I was sweating at the thought of this intrusion into my imperfection. If you still love, me, great. You're way less Type A than I am.

Now I'd like a peek into AnnaBanana, Tristan, Steve and Tiff. Actually, there are a lot more I'd like to see, so if you read my blog, know that I am nosy enough and would like to spy on you. So let me.

16 comments:

diane said...

You look way too cute without make-up! I frighten small children without mine.

Christie said...

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you chose to play along. You have grit, sister.

Now, let's chat. Your dining room is BEAUTIFUL! I really love the table and chairs. And your oganized closet brings a twitter of joy to my ever-lovin' heart. I wish we lived closer.

Oh, and since I caught up on your last year's worth of posts today? I HAD to brag to my soldier-worshipping family about your hubby's Bronze Star. They sat at the dinner table, mouths agape, reverent, even. Just thought I'd share that. You guys rock.

Anna said...

Wow, I got picked to play the game? Okay, I will play. But it will have to wait until I get home from work tomorrow, nope, just remembered that my in-laws are coming for the day tomorrow. I guess it will have to wait until Saturday. And I promise I won't have time to clean up before hand.

Bridget said...

I LOVE square dining tables. Gorgeous. I am also in the "Cool Whip is nasty" club. Nice display of the blue bra too. Oh,la-la.

lisamarie said...

i notice your hair looks nice and straight. that's the perfection in you i love. how does it feel to have your hair so perfect all the time?

..it really does look great and i'm glad you're now a flat iron addict like me. at least we can have one addiction in common.

gab said...

Why is it so fascinating to look at other people's toilets and closets? I don't know. But it is. Thanks for sharing!

Clair said...

whew- thanks for not naming me- we all know i am a mess
and fyi, when i clicked on the picture of your kitchen sink and enlarged it- I noticed some black hairs near the drain....JUST KIDDING!

Celia Fae said...

I'm going to do this, but only the afternoon after the cleaners come. Cheating? Probably.

Maybe I'll go to Paige's house and do it for her when she's not expecting it. Heh.

Tristan said...

As I was reading this I was thinking, "there is NO WAY IN HELL I would ever post pictures of what my house looks like right now!" Now I have to be brave and play along. OK! At least I am going to clean the toilet and take out the trash first! LOL

I will post pics later...I am scared!

Tristan said...

OH! I was also going to say that you are beautiful au natural! And that your closet organization makes me chuckle!

Ilene said...

I'm so with you and appearances while the husband is away. I'm lucky to get a bra on before noon, if that. Maybe this is a reason why I haven't made any neighborhood friends yet?

Ah, vaulted ceilings are difficult to paint. Been there, done that. I think my gold-tan color would look good in your family room too. It is a pretty fun neutral that warms and classes everything up. Restrained Gold from Sherwin Williams (although I did actually order the paint from Home Depot because their prices are better).

Hazen5 said...

You are brave girl, but you have nothing to worry about! Your house is so tidy. Love it!

Ellie said...

I was confused about playing "scene it" in bed. But then I saw the board game.

calibosmom said...

YEAH! I'm so glad you played along...its fun to be a peeping tom with permission! You're beautiful! Lovin' those sexy shoes and the blue bra? RRRRrrrrr! Skip is going to be a happy man when he gets home!

Carrie Ann said...

Did you know that the man who invented Cool Whip was the son of a dairy farmer, and that the motivation for his non-dairy invention was pure spite because he did not get along with his father? True story... I can't ingest a product laced with such negative karma no matter how enticing, wholesome, and "all-American" its marketing makes it appear. I loved the peek into your life. Do you ever come down this way?

Marie said...

Wow your house is tidy. I can't imagine what clean would be. I would say my excuse is 5 kids, but that wouldn't fly. Glad you didn't tag me today.