Thursday, August 13, 2009

Little Moments of Growth



We had Keola's baptism last weekend. It was really very nice. My parents and my niece were here, as well as Jordan and Samantha. It was a pretty emotional day. Keola keeps me on my toes, so it was very touching for me to see him with joy on his face. He was literally glowing at times.



Keola's dad came to do the baptism, and this was the first time we've all actually been involved in a "social" setting together. It started off a teeny bit awkward, but as the day went on, it all worked itself out. This makes me happy for my children.



We had a big family sports day after the baptism. I was the photographer while the dads and kids played football... an arrangement which suited everyone just fine. This was a really big deal for our family, because it showed the kids that we can choose positivity over animosity. I want them to feel secure in all their familial relationships, and it makes me sad when they have to get caught up in adults being childish. Which frankly, we are all guitly of at times.


Also in fantastic and exciting news, my husband was promoted. Here is a picture of us looking miserable and annoyed somber and dignified during the ceremony.

Again, a huge highlight especially for B was having the whole family there. There is no one on earth that would've been prouder of him or happier for him than the people in that room. He gave his little speech and said some really touching things about me and our family. I am glad the kids, especially Jordan and Samie, got to hear that and get a better glimpse of that side of their dad. I also want our kids to see good and healthy ways of expressing love in a marriage. I always worry about the effects of divorce, but I am so blessed to have a husband who loves our whole family unconditionally, and makes every effort to express that. I felt so proud of him during the ceremony for all the work he has put into his career, for the outstanding soldier that he is, and for the good man that I am lucky enough to be married to.

And I'll tell you what. Some people think Scouting is a bit weinie-ish. And maybe in some ways it is. But it makes me happy to see all my guys in a uniform, feeling proud of what they are doing.

20 comments:

Trinity (of haiku tofu) said...

Your family is so beautiful. Congrats on the promotion!

Robin said...

What a terrific week! Baptism and promotion all in one. Your hair is awesome.

Ilene said...

What a lovely grown-up post.

Congrats to Keola, your hubby, and to especially you (for juggling it all with flawless hair)!

Christie said...

Congrats on such a great day for the baptism. Love the action shots.

Though the real standout for me was your hair. I would like a post detailing EXACTLY, step-by-step instructions for how you get it so dang adorably curly. It is GORGEOUS and I want to copy it exactly. Please teach me how.

That is all.

Jessica said...

So many lovely things in that post. Thanks for your (what, Andrea?) honesty.

And Christie's right about your hair.

Tristan said...

You look gorgeous as usual! Congrats to Keola! Congrats to you and your X for having such a great day for him! ;)

Especially big congrats to Skip! That is very cool!!

Ellie said...

I love a man in uniform.

Lisa-Marie said...

What a great post. Your kids are so lucky to have such wise parents (namely, you and Skip)that teach them important life lessons. I'm happy it all worked out.

You're hot.

Uh? Who gets Noe's clothes when she grows out of them? That dress/top is really cute! (So what if I have no shame!)

Lauren in GA said...

I'm not sure how to express what I want to say without sounding sugar coated...but I really, really admire you and think that you and Skip are so amazing. The way that you strive to have healthy, balanced and loving familial relationships under difficult conditions at times is truly examplary.

And girl, you are gorgeous! The, "somber and dignified" picture shows off your great hair and bone structure.

CONGRATS TO YOUR GLOWING KEOLA!

Dear Everyone,
Andrea got sexy layers cut in her hair...though I don't know how she styles it...

martha corinna said...

Wow, you've had a few events, eh?

I would love to emulate your foxy hairstyle but I know I am just too lazy and have a few too many fine motor skill issues. Gorgeous though.

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

This made me cry. I was even on the phone with my mom and read it all to her. I am soooooo Happy for you. What a great weekend. It really is one of the most beautiful things I have seen. In a long time. I love you!!

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

Kind of funny in the Football game, was it A's vs. B's!!

kara jayne said...

I'm sure your sick of people commenting on your beauty...okay...probably not! BUT I must say that your somber picture is GORGEOUS!!! Seriously.

I'm so happy for you and Keola that everything went so well. Your a great person with a great family. Congrats.

Rynell said...

I loved this post. What a weekend!

The Prestwich's said...

*sniff* For some reason this post made me a little teary eyed. I am so happy for you and yours. Kudos on your efforts to surround your life with good people.

Boquinha said...

Well, it's been a LONG time!! Look at your big, beautiful family! I'm so glad to found you in the blogosphere. :) Como estas?

Skip said...

That somber and dignified look is what I look like when I'm standing at the position of attention. Thanks for all of your kind words for me and my family. On another note, stay tuned for "What a Bargin Part Deux. Dapper Dan Stikes Back"

HappyBack said...

Somebody farted during Skip's ceremony, didn't they. I can tell by the look on Andrea's face. Someone floated an SBD.

The Salomon's said...

Congrats to Skip! I'm so impressed with all that he does.
Keola's Baptism was beautiful, I am so glad we were there for it.

So, Can I snag that family picture so that I can photoshop me in next to mom and dad? ;-)

jessica said...

I loved this post. It made me teary. Kudos to you for making your kids the priority. Your kids are blessed and they don't notice the awkward moments like you do.

I'm so proud of Skip and I don't even know him! I loved seeing all your guys in uniform.