Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Nuts and Bolts of It All

Love Journal:
Entry Three

If you recall, I love Sadie. She is the daughter of one of my best friends. She is also extremely talented. I hired her this year to make my Valentine Cards. Here's what the genius girl came up with:


There is a box of candy underneath the paper. And the earbuds are Hershey's Kisses! So now, not only do I have fabulous valentines to hand out, but I didn't have to lift a finger other than to seal the envelope containing her cash payment. What's not to love about that?

And then, of course, I love the kids' analysis of the Vday loot. This guy came home, discarded all the paper cards, and set out to conquer the candy. Doesn't really care who gave him what; he got candy, he's happy.



And then there's this girl.


The analysis of her take was not to be believed. "Why James give me a boy card? Why Caira give me a Transformer card? Mommy, some of these cards are boy cards. I need more Barbie cards. I gived Tonna Monna Hannah cards. Why JJ no gived me a Tonna Monna Hannah card? I can eat all my candy now Momma? We make cookies and put frosting. The frosting all was white and pink. No boy frosting. Just girl frosting. I love it Valentimes Day, Mom."


"Momma, what is it, this candy? I no like it. You can have it Mommy."



And I love natural consequences. This kid gets in the car with his dyed-green mouth and says, "THIRTEEN FUN DIPS, MOM. I'M DYING. MY STOMACH IS KILLING ME. THIRTEEN!!!"
To which I reply, "Wow. Thirteen is a lot! I'm so happy that you won't be burdening the family this evening by complaining about your less-than-stellar choice. It'd be a bummer if you had to go to bed at 7pm because your stomach hurt so badly."


And there you have it. My loves of the day.
(*Tomorrow is a teacher inservice day. No school. Hence the early party today.)

14 comments:

diane said...

Will you be my Valentine? I want one of those ipods...too cute. Kudos on hiring out the work.

HILLARY said...

Our parties are tomorrow. I don't have to help, cause, you know, I'm broken ;)

Emma was already dreading getting transformer things. She has barbie to pass out. I'm sure the boys will be thrilled!

lisha said...

Are you guys on 4 day school weeks?

Tristan said...

The candy iPod is so cool!!

Your kids are seriously too cute!!

Absolutely Normal Chaos said...

I am glad you liked it. I am just wondering what you thought of the personalized one for you and skip?
Sadie will be thrilled when she sees this.

Clair said...

Totally funny! I predict Sadie is going places!

wenderful said...

We made the same ipods. But yours are much cuter I must say. Our are not blogworthy.
Enjoy your day off today. :)

HappyBack said...

My Valentine gets a turd-filled flaming paper bag on her porch this year. Same as every year. Except every year, it's someone different. Maybe it's because I leave flaming poopbags on their porches on Valentine's Day?

Christie said...

Um, those candy ipods are freaking ADORABLE. But way too much work. I'll hire Sadie if I ever decide to do those. She works long distance, right?

lisamarie said...

I have to admit, I think this is one of my most favorite posts ever. Or maybe it's just the mood I'm in.,,either way, it made my day so far.

Tonna Monna Hannah. How could you have spelled it out any better. I'm dying.

And the butterscotch. Valentine's at the senior center. I couldn't be laughing any harder right now.

Ilene said...

So did the unrequited love give a special valentine to Mika? Or did he just chuck the card for the candy?

Jenibelle said...

How many of those puppies did she make for you? I am hoping not for all the kids classes, because if so, she's freaking supergirl. Does she hire out?


BTW...love must be blind, I look at that picture of me and see absolutely zilch natural beauty. You are too kind. Feel free to be that kind whenever the spirit strikes you.

martha corinna said...

I too was slain by the butterscotch at the senior center.

I have to go get a fix of butterscotch.

Lauren in GA said...

Those candy ipods are works of art.

You always crack me up. "Valentine's Day at the Senior Center?" *snort*