Tuesday, October 23, 2007
get funky with it!
i love the cha cha slide. in fact, i'm pretty good at it. IN FACT, it's safe to say i've mastered it over the past year. so imagine my grave disappointment when my husband announced the other day, "i can't stand this song." mouth ajar, i inquired why. his explanation:
"it was written to make white people feel better about themselves." hmm. he asked me to think back to my clubbing days. he too, was an avid clubber, and pointed out the following: "what happens when they play the electric slide? or the macarena? or THRILLER? all the white people come out on the dance floor! someone is telling them exactly what to do, so it's their moment to shine! for a 4-minute period in time, they can dance!"
so i thought about it. and for a minute, i felt like such a white girl! i was ashamed. but after giving it some thought, i've realized that i AM white. i will never, no matter how hard i try, master beyonce's bootylicious moves. and frankly, the older i get, the more likely i am to throw my back out in the process.
i love to dance. i love dance music. i've even been known to cut a rug from time to time. in my opinion, there are a lot of people who look worse than i do on the dance floor. but since my dance floor now consists of the pergo in the kitchen, i think mastering the cha cha slide for my children is a noteworthy accomplishment. i can embrace my inner caucasian with pride. and while for skip, this may be the "worse" part of "for better or for worse," i look at it as a "better" moment.
now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go give five hops, then slide to the left. charlie brown.
p.s. there are black men and women in the video. am i to believe they're there just to make fun of the whites?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
In the words of the great poet Antoine (aka Undercover Brother in white face) “just hold on one dog gone minute.” Before I start getting hate mail from the whole state of Utah let me tell you where this comes from. It’s not the song that I can’t stand; it’s the dance that goes along with it. Let me be a bit clearer, it’s the time taken by certain people to lean the song that goes with this song. My wife is an excellent dancer and she has moves that go way beyond the dance floor. Her doing the electric slide or the creepy monster dance from thriller with the kids is a pleasure to watch. Now picture this, you’re at a club, the music is thumping, and people are having a good time just moving to the rhythm. As you look along the edge of the dance floor you see them. They’re standing there, drinks in hand thinking, “Man, I wish I could dance like that.” You’re thinking, “Yeah, I bet you wish you could move this good” Then it happens, the DJ senses the sadness of those who have no moves to bust puts on the cha-cha slide. The edge hangeroners faces light up. The moment that they have waited for all night arrives. Weeks of dancing in front of mirrors and on elevators are about to pay off. They rush the dance floor like moths drawn to a flame and for four insane minutes they are masters of the dance floor. Stepping and stomping with the two left feet they were born with. For those four minutes time stands still and as the song winds down they plead with the DJ to play the extended version only offered by Ronko records. But alas, the time has come for those who have no rhythm to return to their seats. Their only hope is that for that brief four minutes that made an impression on that hot chick and that she will forget the 20 or so songs that they stood with drink in hand, bobbing their head to a beat that only they heard. This is not my imagination and I know most of you know where I’m coming from. So I say to you, Macarena and kids is a good thing. Cha-cha stomp and grown folk, bad.
i married a genius. a rump-shakin, rug cuttin', bootylicious genius.
Just to prove how very white and not "with it" I am... I've never even heard this song before. Is it an east coast thing?
Its electric! BOogie Woogie woogie!
Really, I don't know what the cha cha slide is, but for the electric slide count me in! And two points for each of my children I embarrass.
I've seen your moves. You are pretty good, but could never really let it all out at the stake dances.
ah, brooke. you taught me everything i know. although i'm going to hope that after we graduated from stake dances, we learned a few more moves than INXS' need you tonight, or billy idol's monie monie.
Post a Comment