Friday, May 29, 2009

In Which I First Pretend, Then Confess

Mika received his Webelos award last night, along with his Arrow Of Light. This is because he is a very diligent worker, dedicated to anything he sets his mind to.
Jeeze, I could barely type that pretending part. I'm dying over here. Let's get to the confession.

Mostly it's because I kicked his butt around for the past 3 months trying to catch him up on all the stuff he missed while he was playing soccer. I could hardly keep a straight face during the ceremony when I had to say something to the effect of "We are prepared to support him in the next leg of his Boy Scout journey." Mostly what I was thinking was, "If I have to endure this same crap during the next leg of his Boy Scout journey, the kid is gonna get beat."
The irony of it all is that they're up there telling him how hard he has worked and what a great contributor he's been, and in the 15 minutes prior to our departure from home that evening, all we heard was, "When can I quit Scouts?"




On a more positive note, he did kick butt today at his track meet. He ran in the 400 and 800 relays, and came in 2nd and 1st place, respectively.



This picture is hilarious because you can see that he lost his shoe. Mr. "I'm too cool to lace up my sneakers, even in my first track meet ever" discovered that perhaps laces are indeed valuable additions to his Nikes. I was proud of him though, because even after losing his shoe he ran his face off and came in first. Please note all the fuzz blowing in the air. It's some kind of stuff off the trees, and it's so annoying because it's everywhere right now.






I'd like to pretend that my Golden Child, my firstborn, is perfect. That he is well on his way to Eagle Scout and Atheletic Scholarship. I will confess, however, that he would probably be more content if I just let him play video games all day.

Stinker.

24 comments:

Anna said...

You don't have to pretend that he is perfect cause he really is perfect. Playing video games is fun and ok by me. You know, in moderation of course. Guitar Hero is the popular one at our casa right now. Murray thinks he was born to ace that one.

D-dawg said...

Oooh nice photos. That is awesome about his shoe

♥Shally said...

I love the shoe picture!

I am NOT looking forward to Jaxon starting scouts. I have a feeling I am going to have to push him a little bit (okay A LOT)

Ugh...

diane said...

The shoeless boy is impressive.

I pretty much kicked my kid into the mission field. He is willing just lazy.

Heidiram said...

Wow. Having a deja vous moment here. Except for the sport is baseball and not soccer. My son is so over scouts. But I am really trying to convince him that he has another 7+ years of it. It is SO HARD doing this alone. His father does not support scouting AT ALL. So at first it was a mother-son bonding thing. Now it's just another divisive thing that gets in the way of the father-mother relationship and the mother-son relationship. If that's what's going to continnue to happen . . . I am over it too. We will just stick with sports because at least there is 100% family support.

I love the photos!

Tristan said...

Go Mika!! He is impressive! Nice camera work capturing the moment he lost his shoe!

katyvee said...

When I realized scouts was gonna be alot like homework.. (that is.. something I'M more concerned about them doing, than they are. I'M the one nagging about getting it done--and I'M the one finishing up projects at 2 am.. etc.) we took the I'm sure very-looked-down-upon-in-some-circles route.. and quit.
I highly reccommend it.
Now track.. I love. And being that he looks to be a natural.. shoes or no shoes.. I'd kick his butt right back on to the track.

Hollyween said...

Okay, your photo-capturing skills are to be admired. You can go ahead and pat yourself on the back for getting the lost shoe pic. Impressive.

Also, I'm catching up.... but I love all your professional photos. They look wonderful. And your buff muscle... awesome. And your cute dimples... always a delight.

Hazen5 said...

Why do yo think they give out those "Mother Pins"? Because WE make sure our boys do the work! Mika can't quit scouts, Madison has to marry an Eagle Scout! (Rob only made it to Tender Foot, and he really regrets it.)

On another note, Mika kicked butt at the Track Meet! Good Job Mika, I hope you didn't hurt your foot in the process! Great Picture.

Clair said...

Boys will be boys... love that you caught him running away from his shoe. Congrats to Mika on the race and may he endure to the end in scouts-- maybe it's a good time to work on the athletic badges- assuming they have those.

Clair said...

ps- i'm really glad that those specks in the photo are just things flying in the air or you would have a terribly magnetic and dirty camera sensor.

Robin said...

I have perfect children too! So rare to meet other moms of perfect children. I love the running pictures. That boy wants to win - even without his shoe.

Desi said...

"If I have to endure this same crap during the next leg of his Boy Scout journey, the kid is gonna get beat."...

I love it, I can hear those same words coming out of my mouth (except the boy scout part) about half of what Ari does.

But way to go Mika on the track meet...that's awesome, and even without one shoe..woot!

jessica said...

I have three younger brothers so I had to watch my mom totally suffer through those scouting years. Not something I'm looking forward to with Camden.

I love those track pictures, the ones without the shoe are so awesome. What dedication and talent!

Ilene said...

Dan had a scout leader who told the boys they wouldn't get to the celestial kingdom unless they were an Eagle Scout.

My husband quit scouting soon after. I guess we are going to settle for a little townhouse in the terrestial realm.

Brynne said...

That is hilarious about the scouting! Funny how much responsibility ends up on the Mom--I think we at least deserve a cash prize as they get these awards and badges, 'cause really...what boy takes the initiative to get it all done themselves? My oldest (and only boy) was gung-ho with scouting for a few months but is pretty much over it now, especially if there is some other entertainment option at the time. I think they learn some great things there though, so I'm making him stick with it--since despite what he seems to think, life's not always ALL about his entertainment!

calibosmom said...

Pretending is what gets us through. That shoeless picture is a keeper and so is the whiney Scout. Keep up the good work mom-someday he'll thank you for pushing him to greatness.

Rynell said...

A shoeless wonder! We've only begun the cub scout thing and I've been thinking what a lot of work it is -- for the parent.

queenieweenie said...

At least he's stinkin' cute!

The key is to have your hubby called into Scouts with him-then you don't have to do a darn thing except sew on patches.

Annemarie said...

Those stinking awards should just be handed right to the moms, along with a weeks vacation somewhere warm and peaceful.
My boys (ahem) got their arrow of light awards last week.
My husband was just called to 11 year old scouts. he he he

Jessica said...

The shoelessness is so so so great.

And how do you Love and Logic a kid into getting his scout stuff? Seriously. With grades and awards like scouts, L&L is little too "hands off" for me...

Jenibelle said...

Wasn't there an Olympic runner who ran barefooted? I'm researching this and getting back to you.

One Eagle Scout down. (yep, you-know-who is actually an Eagle, amazing....) And two more to drag, kick, threaten all the way to a Court of Honor.

There's something wrong with that picture...but I bet it hangs in a LOT of houses.

Lauren in GA said...

The fact that he, "ran his face off" (I love that you said that, by the way) and WON...with no shoe. It made the victory all the more sweet...and hilarious.

I loved the confession. Scouting robs me of happiness all of the time. Uh....I can't believe I just admitted that, *ahem*...it must be the Percocet...

HappyBack said...

Oh jeez, did I ever hate Scouts. I made it to Life Scout under extreme duress. One step shy of Eagle Scout. I was told at the time I'd regret not following through for the rest of my life.

That regret hasn't set in yet.

When I was Young Men's President of our ward in Florida (yeah, I was Young Men's President!)I had to have one of my counselors cover the whole scouting thing, because I just couldn't stomach it.

I gave it my best shot at first. I sat through one meeting with the Regional Scout Masters or whatever they were called. Two twenty-something men who had never kissed a girl in their lives. Not one single girl between the two of them. But oh, were they ever passionate about Scouting!

Scouting, they said, made them who they are today! (i.e., it made them into two overgrown children who needed deordorant and and a lesson on how to shave the adam's apple along with the rest of the face and neck.)

I tried to imagine entrusting my impressionable 12-year-old son to these two guys someday. I imagined I'd rather call Cardinal Law in Boston and ask him if a couple of his Priests were available to take my kid out for a weekend camping trip.

I know its the official young Men's program for the Church. I know that not supporting it makes me evil.

Ok.

So I'm evil.